Air Traffic Control meanings and examples for people to view.

People who are flying their aircraft sometimes don’t know the basics of ATC, so I will define some of them for you :)

For people who are flying:

When you’re in an airport in an ATC server, check to see if your Airport has an active ATC. it will say “Airport Ground/Tower/Departure/Approach/Center, is now active” so that you don’t taxi out and get an On guard warning from the ATC.

When you are instructed to taxi to a certain Runway (Example: Runway 24L at LAX), Look at the Map to locate the runway you were instructed to taxi to, and also use the “Normal Camera” mode to look for the runway and start to make your way to said runway, so that you don’t end up taxiing to the wrong runway.

When you are nearing a runway, make sure to go to the very end of the runway, as in a real airport. Exceptions are when the A/C that you are using can use little runway space for taking off.

When you are told to Taxi, ATC Ground will automatically inform you to contact Tower. once you’re nearing the Runway, contact Tower so that traffic can flow a little more faster. Don’t ask for a frequency change since you were already TOLD to contact tower once ready. Only request if necessary (like if you switch to tower while you just pushed back, you don’t switch right away after they tell you, or you’ll get an On Guard warning), and make sure to contact tower once you reach the hold short, or near the hold short line at the runway, or when you are first in queue.

ALSO, IT ANNOYS ME WHEN PEOPLE JUST TAXI AROUND THE AIRPORT ALL OVER THE PLACE LIKE IF THE PLANE WAS A CAR AND THE AIRPORT WAS THE RACE TRACK! WHEN YOU ARE GIVEN AN ON GUARD WARNING TO CONTACT GROUND, LISTEN AND DO IT!-, OR YOU’LL BE REPORTED! PLEASE, JUST LISTEN AND DO IT. IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT, GO TO THE FREE FLIGHT SERVER WHERE THERE ARE NO RULES. THANK YOU.

When you decide to do some Touch and Goes, please, and I mean please, don’t say “going around” every time you touch down and lift off. A Go Around means that you are in a situation that involves a hazard, such as when an Aircraft lines up while you’re on final approach. You are forced to abort the landing and go around to try to land again without conflict. Another is if you are attempting to land on a windy runway, and your being blown all over the place, you have no choice but to go around and either use the other side or choose a runway with less wind. These are some of the situations where you call in to tower and inform them that you are Going Around.

Also, When you commence a touch and go, ATC will tell you that You are Cleared for the Option. This means that the Pilot has the option to: touch-and-go, low approach, missed approach, stop and-go, or, a full stop landing.

I hope you read the whole thing, and have a safe and fun flight! If there is something missing, or you want me to add something, comment below. Have fuuuuun :)

8 Likes

We needed one of these. Hopefully a lot of people see this. Should the @moderators pin this?

Well put! I hope many people see this and learn. It can get frustrating sometimes (and yes I am speaking s a limited PG server ATC) that this helps a ton

great little tutorial there! Just one point, when taxiing towards a runway, you should ONLY contact the tower frequency when you are first in the queue at or close to the hold short point, not before!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.