Air Tractor AT-802

(Photo from Wikipedia)

AirTractor AT-802
The Air Tractor AT-802 is primarily a dust cropper aircraft with the ability of being converted into a fire fighting aircraft, and an armed aircraft. The AT-802 is manufactured by Air Tractor Inc.In its standard configuration, the aircraft utilizes conventional landing gear (two main wheels and a tail wheel). The AT-802 carries a chemical hopper between the engine firewall and the cockpit and another one under the belly. In the U.S., it is considered a Type III SEAT, or Single Engine Air Tanker. In 2008, AirTractor responded to the United States LAAR program and the growing requirement for light counter-insurgency aircraft. The AT-802U has engine and cockpit armor, a bulletproof windscreen, self-sealing fuel tanks, and structural reinforcements for the carriage of 9,000 pounds of payload. A reinforced wing spar was certified for 12,000 hours of flight time.
The AT-802 has also been used in counter-drug operations in the USSOUTHCOM AOR by the U.S. Department of State as a delivery vehicle for herbicides and defoliants over narcotics production facilities.

Variants of the AT-802

AT-802 - two seat (tandem) cockpit

AT-802A - single-seat cockpit

AT-802U - two seat (tandem) heavily armored military version, modified with sensors and reinforced for weapons carriage
AT-802F/AT-802AF - An aerial firefighting model 802 equipped with the Air Tractor Computerized Firegate[ designed/developed/serviced by Trotter Controls Inc.
AT-802L Longsword - An ISR and light-attack aircraft based on AT-802U, which developed by L3 Platform Integration collaboration with Air Tractor.[20] L3 rebranded it as OA-8 Longsword for Asia-Pacific region.

Specifications
Crew: Two (later models 1)
Capacity: 820 US Gal (3,104 L) of chemicals
Length: 35 ft 11 in
Wingspan: 59 ft 3 in
Height: 12 ft 9 in
Empty weight: 6,505 lb (2,951 kg)
Gross weight: 16,000 lb (7,257 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney PT6A-67AG turboprop, 1,350 hp
Cruise speed: 221 mph (356 km/h)
Range: 800 miles (1,289 km)
Service ceiling: 25,000 ft (7,620 m)
Rate of climb: 850 ft/min (4.3 m/s)

My thoughts
#ProTailDragger, I love flying the Super D, it be so fun to see more tail draggers. The AT-802 is a beast of a machine, with some cool operations it be great to see these flying. It opens new doors for pilots to test their low flying skills!

(Approved for new posting by Levet)

Dang! I thought that crop dusters were old and rickety. Bulletproof windscreen…amazing!

3 Likes

Not the AT-802U like how awesome is that?!

1 Like

Is this one of those aircraft the US Airforce is testing?

One of the many they’re testing!

Now this would be a fun plane to pilot. These are some skilled pilots. If you’ve ever gotten the chance to watch them work, you’ll be amazed. Top notch pilots.

This isn’t the military variant but a working agricultural crop duster. You can even see in the second picture the fertilizer or insect repellent (whatever they spray) being applied.

This was taken on an early morning out in Maricopa, Arizona back in March of 2017 I believe.

2 Likes

Great shots!
I have a few friends who fly these, they’re pretty awesome to watch their go pro videos!

This was the closest I’ve been up to one. I’ve got to hunt around to find one that I can tour with the owner. Not sure if they make a 2 seater version but if they did, you can guarantee that I’ll be begging to go for a ride. 😂

1 Like

They do! The original AT802 has two seats!

Maybe if I read the whole thing I wouldn’t have sounded so stupid. Carry on… 😐

1 Like

LOL You’re still awesome!

In Brazil… Ipanema made for Embraer

Cool! Different aircraft then the AT802

1 Like

But… Nice request! I hope see soon! We need more GA

1 Like

I agree, we need more props, tail draggers, single engines ect!

1 Like