Air France A380 has an engine disintegrate during mid-flight

The company may have sent or bought any other flight for them, they always have cover for it 😊

1 Like

Another one of these RWA Topics were the Media makes it seems as its the end of the world, there is no company to blame here because anything can fail at any time. You can be the best company that makes engines with a history of 0 failures, but that doesn’t stop the engine from exploding because some derbis or some faulty mechanics doesn’t it?
Whether it was RR or Some other engine proudcer it doesn’t matter, it will be investigated by the investigators and all we need to worry about is if the human beings on the aircraft are still alive, which they are so god bless.

6 Likes

Well, the engine may have been horrifying at first, but the A380 can run on 2 engines, so I wouldn’t call it a miracle that they landed it. The pilots did well though, a very professional job, and I’m glad everyone is on the ground safely.

2 Likes

woah… That is really scary…

1 Like

My thoughts as well. I think it’s more of a maintenance thing than the manufacturing of the engine.

3 Likes

Wow, nice job to the pilots landing that A380, though aren’t engines tested so that they can contain engine failures like that? And when they can’t be contained they can’t be used on the aircraft?

1 Like

yes

5 Likes

It always is after the first B check has been done. By the first B check some part of the engine should have had some minor maintainence done. By that poibt it isnt the engine manufacturer’s fault but tge airlines.

1 Like

I highly doubt the manufacturing of the plane is to blame here. I’d say it’s likely a result of poor maintenance. The way that it looks like it blew apart makes me think there were likely some kind of stress fractures on the engines that were overlooked, and then the force of the air moving through the engine was enough to completely tear it apart.

2 Likes

Wow I have Goose Bay Airport Max Upgraded in Pocket Planes. Anyways, I’m glad nothing major happened and the Plane didn’t start barrel rolling on it’s left side.

3 Likes

this seems somewhat like the Qantas incident back in 2010

Omg now way! That looks truly shocking. So lucky everyone onboard was ok! Reminds me of QF32, but obviously with the EA engines. These A380 engines are so problematic… but this looks like a very unusual disintegration.

I wouldn’t blame the „A380 engines“ here. As stated several times, the engines of QF and the AF flight were produced by different manufactures. Other aircraft/engine types also had incidents (SWA, 777 of BA at LAS, 767 at ORD only to name some more or less recent cases)
I‘m quite sure there will be an investigation on what caused that incident so we will find out if there was a construction issue (which I doubt after many years in service), debries involved, bad maintenance or whatever

4 Likes

My money is on metal fatigue in the fan disk, maybe a batch from a substandard metal or just a pattern caused by a certain combination during the plane’s operation history.

Not too uncommon and given the safety standards overall more of a shock to the passengers if anything.

Just speculating obviously, have to wait for the investigation results

1 Like

Can you not read?

At this stage it looks like an engine fault since the whole nacelle tore off, but the investigation could conclude otherwise. Yes, it may be a maintenance fault, for example the engine may have not been properly bolted onto the pylon.

1 Like

Yes, I can read. I know you stated that the engine type was different but by saying

you still indicate that there was a general issue with the A380’s which is obviously not the case since only 2 of hundreds of engines failed.

3 Likes

On another note, is it too much to ask for people here to be nice to each other, and not make general statements writing off a piece of technology because of a couple of incidents that are probably isolated cases due to a specific sets of circumstances?

The amount of engineering knowledge and testing that goes into a jet engine is enormous, and if this was a serious flaw with the design it would a) happen earlier, more often, and probably wouldn’t get certified in that form.

As it stands, the engines have performed well aside from the two cases mentioned. The more complex a system, the longer it takes to find every issue and perfect it, as some problems don’t reveal themselves until much later and only happen under certain circumstances.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t blame the maintenance crew straigh away before the investigation board looks at it and issues the final report. Remember the Qantas accident. It was an oil leak deep inside the engine that’s hardly noticeable.

Here is the report for this incident:

This is the only major incident suffered by the GP7270 engine manufactured by Engine Alliance.

This is just my 2c from this photo:

It seems that the engine has had a failure of the fan disk as everything from the second half of the nacelle (where the reverser would normally be if there was one) is untouched, save for the marks on the engine. The yellow stain could mean that there was something leaking and that there could have been fire at some point, although the fact that only the sides seem to be stained point to a leak, possibly after the fan disk seperated.

Also looking at this photo, all the damage seems to be confined to the fan disk and the surrounding nacelle. I’m not too sure how the nacelle could have fallen off as they are supposed to be able to contain the fan blades in case of a failure so this must have been a major break up.

This is not the first time that a GP7200 has had a problem, however previous incidents were not to such lengths as the fan disk seperating.

See here for the complete report: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4267547/ao-2012-150_final.pdf

12 Likes