Air Force vs NOAA Hurricane Hunters

I just wanted to take a minute to the explain the difference between the Air Force Hurricane Hunters and NOAA Hurricane Hunters. These are the big differences:

The Air Force Hurricane Hunters, formally the 53d Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, is based out of Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi. They operate a fleet of Lockheed WC-130J aircraft (this is the one in the game). They operate missions in the Pacific Ocean and are the only military unit in the world to do so.

Credits: wikipedia.org

The NOAA Hurricane Hunters is a civilian operation under NOAA that until recently was operated out of MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida. They have now moved there base to operate out of Lakeland Linder Airport in Lakeland, FL. They operate a fleet of two Lockheed WP-3D Orion aircraft and a G-IV Gulfstream high-altitude jet. NOAA operates their missions in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

https://www.omao.noaa.gov/learn/aircraft-operations/about/hurricane-hunters

Credits: omao.noaa.gov

I have always wonder the difference between the two groups; now we have it. Also, when you fly the Hurricane Hunters C-130J in IF, use the Air Force callsign. I hope this was helpful.

13 Likes

Did some research on this and it turns out that they operate missions spanning from the Central Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean, with much in between.

Would be unusual to have a base located closer to the Atlantic than the Pacific and only operate in the Pacific. :)

Nice topic though. Interesting read.

3 Likes

Wow great topic. Well worded and informative:)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.