Air Force One (Kind of) at KBKL

Today, President Trump flew into Cleveland. In Cleveland, we have two airports, KCLE and KBKL. KCLE is much larger, but it is further from the center of the city. KBKL is smaller, but it is right in the middle of the city. Therefore, the president chose to fly into the smaller KBKL. Because the runway at KBKL is only about 6000 feet, they flew the presidential 757 rather than the usual 747. It was still cool to see this plane and the C17 that transports his motorcade.

Boeing C32 Modified 757 Presidential aircraft

C17 Motorcade transporter

26 Likes

Great Spot! Did you watch it land?

2 Likes

No, unfortunately I was not able to get there in time. He had already left for his meetings once I arrived, and it would be a good 2-3 hours before it left again, so I didn’t stay to watch it leave.

1 Like

Do you have plans to go back to the airport later today?

1 Like

Probably not. It’s about a 30 minute drive from where I live and I’ve got a lot to do today.

1 Like

Very similar here in Cincinnati. Trump landed at LUK instead of CVG, as he was going to the east side of the city. Do you know what the registration is for the C-32? It might have been the same one.

2 Likes

The one here was 90016.

1 Like

It’s a really cool experience so watch him land I have watched him land once at DAL but he cane in this weekend and I saw the C-17 and he also had a massive tent over the 747 I believe this time.

1 Like

The C-17 is very cool. I still don’t know how it landed on the 6000 foot runway at BKL.

@PeterCLE the C32 is Air Force Two not Air force one

Air Force one is a callsign attached to USAF aircraft carrying the POTUS. The C-32 in this case acts as Air Force One.

4 Likes

No particular aircraft is Air Force 1 or Air Force 2. Air Force 1 is any US Air Force-owned aircraft with the president on board. If Trump was flying around in an F22, then the F22 would be Air Force 1. If the USAF owned a C172 for Trump to fly around in, then the C172 would be Air Force 1. The same applies to Air Force 2 with the Vice President.

4 Likes

This is true. Air Force One and Two are callsigns, not planes.

1 Like

I believe they usually use the 757 to transport the Vice President, so that would be Air Force Two, I think. I’m actually very surprised they let you get that close the the President, usually presidential security is outrageous.

Don’t all the professional teams fly into Lakefront or do they fly into Hopkins? And is the air show still held at Lakefront too? I haven’t been to the air show for a long time since I moved from Columbus lmao

1 Like

This is Air Force One, not Air Force Two. These are callsigns, not planes. Any plane containing the president is Air Force One, any plane containing the Vice President is Air Force Two. The security wasn’t all that bad, they just put me through a metal detector and looked through my bag.

2 Likes

Most sports teams fly into Hopkins. On occasion, they fly into Burke if they are a smaller operation (aka minor league hockey). MLB, NBA, and NFL all use Hopkins. The airshow at Burke every Labor Day is phenomenal. I try to go every year. Each year the featured event alternates between the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. It is an amazing show, and I highly recommend it to anyone who can make it out that weekend!

1 Like

Oh I see…That’s interesting. Did you see the president?

1 Like

No, I got there just after he left for his meetings. I did see the pilots of the plane, as well as an extreme police presence.

2 Likes

I wonder what you have to do to get that job, flying the president around.