"Air Conditioning" Excuse for technical malfunction?

I’ve happened to notice that on the three flights I’ve been on that had a problem, over the intercom the crew said that “Air Conditioning” malfunction was to blame. However, after the incidents, I’ve asked the crew and they revealed the real technical error we had; different on each flight. It occurred to me twice on Aeroflot and once on British Airways. I’m wondering if anyone knows the reason behind this. My best guess is that it’s to keep the passengers calm? I’m not sure, but maybe a few of the real-world pilots may explain.

2 Likes

It uses a lot of power and thus less power

1 Like

ITll get real hot after a while.

1 Like

That too lol “with my experience with old alaska airlines jets ie ‘737-400’ lol” they get realy really hot!

2 Likes

There are many parts in the AC system. It can be different issues every time, but the sparknotes version for the uninitiated is “air conditioning” every time.

2 Likes

Was stuck on A380 First class when I was going to LAX. then you hear dear passengers the air conditioning is broken so we are tuning it off and it will be fixed in a few hours so just sit back and relax cabin crew will hand out food and drinks (not for free). Thanks for your cooperation

2 Likes

What were the technical problems for each flight?

2 Likes

One was because the pilots’ display was stuck, another one due to a fuel leak and the last one (happened just a few weeks ago) was due to hydraulic leakage.

1 Like

Thanks! You’d think they’d be honest, but no 😔

Better than panicking the passengers I guess…

1 Like

Probably to keep from having explain a fault in a complicated system. Most people probably wouldn’t understand if they went into detail.

2 Likes

Well if they said “yes we have an engine problem” do you really think passengers would be all calm? Look there’s a lot of faults that we don’t know about that happen that they just cover up with “we have an air conditioning fault”. They do this to keep people calm and not worried as the crew probably is already too busy clearing the cabin and trying to figure out how to fix the problem. They don’t wanna have to deal with hysterical people running and screaming at 34,000ft

For non avgeeks or people who fear flying,

Stuck pilot displays = crash
Fuel leak = crash
Hudraulics leak = crash

So yeah, I guess it’s just to make them calm.

What do you mean not for free, lol. Surely its free. What Airline?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.