Air China 787-9 Shenzen to Los Angeles

Since the mid-2010s, Air China has operated nonstop flights from both Beijing and Shenzen to Los Angeles. While both flights currebtly use the Boeing 777-300ER, the PEK-LAX route has seen the 747-400, 747-8i, 787-9 Dreamliner, and A350-900 XWB. The Dreamliner was regularly scheduled for Air China’s LAX flights from around 2016 to the end of 2022. Since then, its flights from Beijing and Shenzen have been almost exclusively operated by the 77W. I wanted to do the lesser-known Air China route to the West Coast and I wanted it to do it with an aircraft seldom-used by the carrier outside the Far East. The 787-9, therefore, was ideal for the job.

Server: Solo
Airline: Air China
Aircraft: Boeing 787-9
Origin: Shenzen Bao’an International Airport, Shenzen, People’s Republic of China (SZX)
Destination: Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, California (LAX)
Route: ZGSZ-KLAX
Flight Number: CA769
Seat: 45A (Economy)
Time En Route: 12 Hours 50 Minutes

Boarding our aircraft in the second-largest city in Guangdong Province. This specific aircraft, B-7877, was the first 787 delivered to Air China in 2016. Sadly, she was a victim of the COVID-19 Pandemic like so many other airliners, having been parked at PEK since 2021. Currently, she is still there in deep storage missing her engines and it’s unclear when or if Air China plans on reactivating her.

Taxiing out for takeoff

"Gear up, postive rate)

Leaving China near the mouth of the Yangtze River

There’s nothing quite like a Pacific sunset…

…except maybe a Pacific sunrise

Passing over the Bay Area with UC Berkeley and Suisun Bay to the far left

Descending over LA’s West Side

Landing in Los Angeles in the infamous June Gloom

Parked at the Midfield Terminal

15 Likes

Nice photos!