Air Canada landing on 28R at SFO don't mix

So an Air Canada A320 has once again done something wrong on runway 28R and SFO.
Air Canada 781 failed to go around after being told so multiple times. It could’ve hit aircraft holding short of 28L.

See what happened here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXNWwKx9c1o

10 Likes

Yeah, maybe they should stick to 28L, it’s like me and my love life, I’ll stick to planes.

7 Likes

I’ll stick to 28L as long as it isn’t Asiana. Other then that I always land at 28L, runway I am most familiar with

2 Likes

Yup, I’ve only every landed on their 28L, and I’ve been to SFO a lot.

I’m a bit confused, why did the Tower clear Air Canada to land when the runway wasn’t cleared for it to land? (It was occupied by the SWA aircraft)

3 Likes

Interesting - my first impressions were wth is going on, go around.
But if they had legit radio problems then they may be innocent after all.
No need to release the kraken just yet…

1 Like

Because that is normal US practice (and also how IF ATC works). In the UK/Europe you are only cleared when the runway is empty.

4 Likes

Ah right! That makes a lot of sense because I hear ATC in Europe saying “Expect Late Landing Clearance” but never in the US! Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

I think it is a little bit too convenient that their radio worked when they received the clearance, then stopped working when they were being told to go-around, then magically worked again after they landed.

4 Likes

Also, does anyone know what is the procedure in place if you lost radio connection on final?

Get everyone out of the way and give the plane with radio issue priority? Thats what happens in IF anyway

1 Like

In general aviation you set your transponder to 7600 and squawk / ident a few times to get the controllers attention.
With airliners I don’t know the procedure.

2 Likes

On short final? I think the crew didn’t know what had happened until they landed

2 Likes

It seemed like the crew had no awareness at all to what Tower had instructed him to do

Jeez why didn’t the air Canada listen

It is certainly very concerning, more so now that it is evidently a recurring issue. The public, via YouTube comments, are very ignorant about this incident and blame everything from a conspiracy against Canada, a sort “Bermuda Triangle” over San Fran, and even somehow automation dependency. One person even commented that “it was so late in the landing they wouldn’t know where to go around to without possibly hitting another aircraft”. Lots of ignorance about our industry out there, this AC business is not helping make things better.

Looks like there’s some pretty serious issues going around with Air Canada recently.

2 Likes

I actually prefer 28R, I always spawned there in my flightgear days…

1 Like

Its funny that to the untrained eye you would probably never even notice that anything was wrong. I also wonder why tower had the United plane holding short of 28L for so long when it doesn’t seem like there was any reason. I guess its possible that there could have been traffic on Bravo even though thats not shown in the video.

What is this, the training server?? 😂