AGL before landing?

At what height AGL should i be when i am about 5NM from the runway? Or approximately when those red landing aid squares start? I am not using them and i try to follow the glide-slope but i never know at what height i should intercept the ILS.

Thank you! (:

2 Likes

Try altitudes between 2500-3000 when intercepting the end of the glide slope, apart from that it’s really up to you. Just descend or climb until you catch the glide slope.

3 Likes

Totally depends on the elevation of the airfield…but all I can say is try to find a constant rate of descent that you feel comfortable with that will guide you to the ground a couple of seconds after crossing the runway threshold :)

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Okay, that sounds logical, that is what i usually do but i thought maybe there is a cartain height that you should be at a certain distance from the runway.
Thank you for the replies.

Factors:

Airport Elevation
Speed
Glideslope
Threshold Placement

Use the PAPI if you want to get a straight landing :)

2 Likes

My adivise echoes a few of the others,

The altitude varies on the airfield a good way to figure it out is using the glidescope, this will tell you exactly what altitude is ideal but obviously other factors play a part.

Your rate of descent or -Vs is the key to a steady descent, again have a play around and find what suits you best, I find -800vs works fine for me at around 180knts and then reduce that as I get closer.

Jump in an aircraft with an APPR feature and whilst it’s landing for you keep an eye on everything and then make your own decision :)

1 Like

Almost all glideslopes follow a 3 degree angle. This means that for every one mile you are from the threshold, you need 300 ft. For instance, at 5 miles, you should be at 1500 ft. 300x5=1500. You can see your distance using the DME in the HUD. You should intercept the localizer below the glideslope, so 2500 feet is a good altitude. After intercepting the localizer fly runway heading at a level altitude, until the glideslope comes alive and meets the center. At that point just fly the ILS. Hope that helped :)

2 Likes

Thank you.

But i find it really hard to see those lights, unless i fly at night time which i almost never do.
And i find it really hard to control and stabilise my rate of decent without AP😅

Can you explain me the 3.5 degrees thing? I have read about it many times and i don’t know how exactly to read those degrees on the HUD, therfore i don’t know my pitch degrees😅

I usually intercept the localizer at about 2500ft or whatever approach tells me to intercept at. Once I do intercept I set my vertical speed to about -800 and then I disconnect the AP at about 1000ft or whenever I’m comfortable. If everything goes right and you follow your instruments you should cross the threshold at 50ft.

On a standard 3.0 degree glidescope, you should be in the region of around 1200-1500 ft at 5NM out.

Also, you should cross the threshold at 50ft agl. :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.