Aeronautics violation because of bad weather

Hey! i’ve been working really hard for the past couple of days flying lots of patterns around different controlled airspaces on the training server in an attempt to push for grade 4! Unfortunately this evening I was flying around KSFO in a Cessna 172 with 40kt winds. after landing full stop and turning onto the taxiway, the wind pushed me onto two wheels, as pictured below

in an attempt to get back onto all wheels, I increased throttle which lead me to completely flip, as pictured below

A full video of the incident is here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I was issued a Level 1 violation for aerobatics near an airport, and now I am unable to become Grade 4 for the next 7 days.

The full replay file is here: Dropbox - SFO Violation.replay - Simplify your life

is it possible for this violation to be removed? thanks!

Hello,

Unfortunately level one violations can not be appealed unless it is a bug or issue with the app, which in this case it doesn’t appear to be.

It is the responsibility of the pilot to maintain control over their aircraft at all times, and unfortunately it appears that a loss of control appears to have caused the violation, not an issue within the app itself.

Take care mate!

1 Like

Well there’s your problem…

2 Likes

Winds were manageable at takeoff, after landing I planned on heading back to the gate as ending the flight on the runway/taxiway or in air would have been unrealistic/cheesy so i figured landing full stop on my second go around was responsible

i’m the replay you see that as soon as I began to lose control i attempt to correct with rudder, then attempt to correct with throttle which is what caused the flip, and as soon as i realized there was no going back i ended the flight. Looking back i still don’t see a way in which i could have handled this without ending the flight on the runway/taxiway or in air which i didn’t want to have to do. I know in the US an “act of god” is considered to hold nobody liable, I don’t know if that applies to IF Violations but I don’t see how this could have been avoided

RE: @lucaviness 's comment

1 Like

I actually think this is partly an issue with the app, since the 172 is basically unbreakable right now. Most planes would have crashed once upside down and so no violation would have been issued.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that. That’s certainly something to keep in mind then regarding the violation the OP has received.

1 Like

@Yacht I decided full stop as soon as these conditions appeared. I suppose i could have diverted but as previously mentioned i have been chasing 100 landings in last 90 days for grade 4 and fully intended on switching to a different airport and flying more patterns and didn’t want to divert to another airport, especially because the autopilot was giving me really shaky flying and I would need to hand fly for stable flight

Hello,

you can still get grade 4, since this only level 1 violation. by waiting 1 week after you get the violation you should getting grade 4 if you still grind your landing count until 400.

for the violation, It’s best to give it a try to appeals your violation. by adding @appeals to your PM.

1 Like

If you’re looking for realism, I would’ve diverted due to the winds, and maybe this could be translated into IF by diverting out of the app. Just my take.

1 Like

Anyway, just send a message to the @appeals team and they’ll take a look at it for you. It’s out of any of our control from here.

1 Like

it says in the @appeals bio that it is for level 2 and 3 violations only… is there someone else I could reach out to? or should I reach out to them anyways? to be frank i thought this was my appeal 🤣

@appeals can also appeals level 1 violation, if they were cause by technical issue.

1 Like

Yep, but violations in regard to a bug can be appealed. They’ll decide though, no promises.

It sure was a windy one in the Bay Area today. My dog kept howling at the sound of the wind. Be careful out there, and remember that you can always quit the flight if need be. It’s not dishonorable; quite the opposite.

1 Like

thanks for the help!

1 Like

I reversed your violation. Please keep in mind that C172 aren’t meant to fly in that much wind in the future

1 Like

While i could argue the fact the winds were calmer at takeoff and write a whole paragraph defending myself, “I reversed your violation” is all i needed to hear! thank you for taking a look!

Issue resolved