Aerolineas Argentinas flight bound for Buenos Aires suffers engine difficulty at New York JFK

This happened not too long ago. There is also amateur footage of the event taking place.

Source: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/suspected-engine-fire-new-yorks-jfk-airport/amp/?client=safari

Glad everyone is ok so far.

11 Likes

Oh gee it looks like some sort of firestorm! Hope everyone is ok. What type of aircraft was it?

1 Like

The footage looked awful.

And JFK does not need any delays! The engines did not sound great either. They revved up and started roaring until this gunshot went off. The whole plane looked engulfed in flames by that photo.

2 Likes

Sad to here, hope everyone onbored is well

im from argentina. It was in Kennedy, an engine stall. Fire was extinguished alone without help of fire services. The whole plane wasn’t on fire. Plane returned to platform alone.

This already happened like 3 months ago, same route same type of plane, A330 200. Both incidents happened with two different planes. In fact, this incident happened with a brand new A330 200.

1 Like

1 Like

“Goes up in flames” is very inaccurate.

7 Likes

That seems awful! Though I can’t clearly see the video but it seems quite bad for the passengers. I hope the investigation can reveal an answer asap so it won’t be happening again in the future.

1 Like

Welcome to the media.

5 Likes

it has been an engine stall. Nothing to do with pilot or maintenance. Those things happen. Airplane is brand new.

2 Likes

An engine fail. Engine extinguished, glad everyone is okay. Now let the plane be fixed

2 Likes

couldn’t agree more. Fire was only on one engine, was self-extinguished, no need for fire services. Pic shows sparks generated by the moment of the stall.

2 Likes

And of course since the media feels bad for not being able to travel they report the incident as if the aircraft was destroyed

2 Likes

“airplane explodes and goes up in flames” LOL i got to admit that sells more than “airplane with an engine stall aborts flight before take off and returns to gate, no injuries”

2 Likes

Quoting from the article. If you have a problem with what they’ve written, contact them.

1 Like

LOL! How can an airplane explode then taxi to the parking? Wow welcome to the media

2 Likes

of course, it’s not a message for u. It’s for media, what sells more than saying what actually happened without drama

2 Likes

A ‘stall’ is where the engine will fail to respond to the throttle. A compressor ‘stall’ will lead to a surge where the pressure in the combustion chamber is greater than the pressure in the compressor leading to reverse flow through the compressor and expensive bits of metal being blown out of the front of the engine!

That looked like a surge to me.

Shouldn’t happen on a new engine. The usual cause is either damage to the compressor blades due FOD/Bird ingress or severe compressor blade core icing.

Either way, not nice to get on full power up. Hence the engines are run up to 55% N1 prior to applying take off thrust.

1 Like

The rain made it look worse than it was.

2 Likes