Aerial Photos ft. Tahoe // Paradise, CA // Oroville Dam // & More

I went flying yesterday to test out a new camera I bought for Christmas. It’s been a while since I’ve shared any photos here so thought I would post a few of my favorites from yesterday.

We flew from the Bay Area to a small town near Tahoe called Quincy. After lunch in Quincy we decided to fly over the town of Paradise, California which was completely destroyed from the wildfires a couple months ago. Keep in mind Paradise had over 25,000 people living there and nearly every house and building was burned down from the so called “Campfire”. Paradise is also about 200 miles away from where I live, but the smoke travelled so far that it forced my school and others in the area to cancel classes. Air quality here was constantly over 100 and close to 200 at times over the span of 2 weeks, and was 300+ in Paradise during the fires. I did a similar aerial photography flight in 2017 over the Santa Rosa/Napa wildfires which I thought was bad, but the Paradise flight was at least 10 times worse. The images speak for themselves.

Taken near Tahoe

DSCF2616

Mountain flying from Quincy to Paradise

DSCF2689

The first photo I got of the wildfire damage. This was taken a few miles away from the town of Paradise. Note everything is burned, for miles.

DSCF2742

An entire neighborhood of Paradise is destroyed.

DSCF2806

DSCF2842

This road is the only way in/out of Paradise. It’s pretty clear why so many people were trapped in town with traffic congestion during the time of the fires.

DSCF2861

Overflying Oroville Dam

DSCF2907

DSCF2921

One of my favorite (and luckiest) shots from the flight. Taken overhead Beale AFB with a Lockheed U-2 on downwind practicing pattern work.

DSCF3001

Flying over the Altamont Pass back to San Jose.

DSCF3038

20 Likes

That. Is. Awesome.

5 Likes

These photos are amazing! Very well done.

Are these pictures edited at all? If so, what software did you use?

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to be able to go skiing in Reno!

Great pictures

2 Likes

Thanks! I edit all my photos with Lightroom Classic CC.

2 Likes

Awesome. I love your photography and completely admire your success. Keep up the great work man!

2 Likes

The photos of Paradise are upsetting. It’s so unfortunate all of those people lost their homes and loved ones.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.