Aerial fire bomber operations in Florida

Fort Myer Airport rental car fire

Every fire department in Lee County is responding to a fire at RSW off Terminal Access Road.

The fire is on the east side of Terminal Access Road in an overflow lot where rental cars are parked, Port Authority confirmed over 100 cars were destroyed. Forestry helicopters have been dumping water on the fire. The fire operation is still taking place right now. Airbus H125s Bell UH1, Bell 407s are currently fighting this fire. The current fire is over 100 acres

9 Likes

Holy crap.

That must have been a while to take out.

Hopefully nobody was hurt!

1 Like

They’re still working on it, got a friend involved with it

1 Like

I have a friend who lives in Punta Gorda. I’ll see if she knows anything else about it! That is major

1 Like

Wow i guess the two stepped BMW wasn’t tuned properly 🤦🏻‍♂️ Anyway, hope nobody was or gets seriously hurt.

3 Likes

What looks like fireworks is actually magnesium exploding from the water making contact with it. Magnesium parts can be found in many vehicles, some more than others but talking from experience, magnesium will violently react with water when it is exposed to fire.

Another hazard here is the use of water on vehicles loaded with fuel, as you apply more and more water the fuel will ride on top of the water spreading the fire even more. Best to fight these fires with Aqueous Film-Forming Foam (AFFF) or dry chemical.

I hope that everyone is safe and no one gets hurt.

2 Likes

Some more photos and info

The Aviation Unit is at it again. Chief Pilot Shane Engelauf flew the Huey and completed over 80 drops over this massive fire at the RSW Airport car lot in Fort Myers. 🔥🔥🔥The Florida Fire Service reported over 100 vehicles were damaged.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.