Advice on the Aviation Career

Hi,
I’m wondering if there are any pilots here currently flying for Delta Airlines that could give me some advice on what I should be doing to get into the career. I am a senior in high school and am planning on going to a nearby college after high school that specializes in aviation to get me my licenses and degree in Aviation Flight Science.

I know there are some pilots with us here on the IFC, just wondering if any of them work for Delta.

Thanks!

1 Like

first step want to work for a better airline lol jk i have no clue but i guarentee someone can help you out maybe

I would ask @naro since he has a PPL so he would be able to give you better advice. Also this should be in #real-world-aviation.

Lol. I have always been a fan of Delta and what they do to ensure safe a safe trip from one destination to another. I know that the college I am hoping to go to has partnered with Delta to get students a job at Delta after they graduate, but I’m not sure if there is a better option.

So many people here have PPL’s but there’s a few actual airline pilots like @Erj145 and @schloopy91 that you should consider asking

1 Like

That’s like asking a first year med student how to perform a clamshell thoracotomy

3 Likes

Hi Austin. I’m a current student at Purdue University pursuing a career in the aviation industry. While there may be others who have more experience, I can shed some light on aviation studies on a collegiate level. My best advice would to be open minded and to expect change. While you may have an end goal of flying for Delta, consider the other opportunities that aviation has to offer. Focus on what you have now, whether it be getting good grades or doing some extensive research on the industry, and everything will eventually fall into place. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to PM if you have any questions.

7 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for your advice. I still worry about how much it is going to cost and how I’ll be living during my education.

Also my cousin goes to Purdue so that’s pretty cool.

1 Like

My advice is: take what you can get. Aviation’s a tough sector to get into so you get a job offer from let’s say sun country you take it. With flight schools apply for em, all will give you the best chance! Try get into sponsored courses so you’re almost guaranteed a job!

1 Like

Delta is a very hard airline to get into. You’ll need your licences and a bachelor’s degree. :)
Other airlines don’t require any degrees, but having a degree isn’t always a bad idea.

2 Likes

There are many people that have a PPL here.

Here’s my advice I can pm you some topics I made about flight schools and some career advice I posted. I only hold a PPL so I can’t speak for the airlines but some great people would be @DeerCrusher @captainandrew. And a few others that I know for for the Airlines in the US…

1 Like

@IFATC_Andrew ^

1 Like

I feel summoned @N1DG 🤣

Anywho, @ OP

The thing is, there is no right or wrong set way you must go. The way I look at it is, there is point A (where you are now) and Point B (airlines) the obvious shortest distance between two points is a straight line but in aviation that’s not always the case. My best advise? Stay flexible, avoid the over priced 141 schools (unless you have the funds/scholarship). A regional captain that is an ERAU grad and a Pt 61 trained, small university grad regional captain like myself ultimately get paid the same to fly the plane. On the other hand I strongly suggest networking any way possible. Never forget a name, a place or a story. In aviation it all about Who you know, not what you know.

2 Likes

@naro

I somewhat echoed your reply before I actually your comment 😅

1 Like

Sorry 😂😂 your one the first I found think of.

At delta you need at least 3,500 hours, and a suggestion is taking the military route since they can train you for free and you can rack up ALOT of hours there and 50% of deltas pilots are former military and the airline itself says that being in the military will highly increase you’re chances of getting hired by them.

Thanks for the tag @AlphaKilo 🙏🏽

My two cents for what’s it worth.

Delta is a great goal to have and I wish nothing more for you to fly for them one day.

That’s said, I am not an airline pilot, but a corporate pilot (ex regional pilot, so I know a little about the airline world), but I would urge you to to keep an open mind along your journey as an aviator in route to delta.

If doors open for you to fly in Alaska - do it. If you get an opportunity to fly floats in the islands - do it(good luck trying to leave that. Lol). If you get to fly as a bush pilot- do it. My point enjoy flying all that encompasses it.

Delta will come at some point. Make life long friends along the way. But it’s important to enjoy your journey there.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. One thing I have learned about aviation is that it’ll never go as you expect.

1 Like