Advice for fuel amount on a 747-400

Often when flying any of the older models of infinite flight it is difficult to estimate the amount of fuel necessary to fly from point A to point B without falling like a brick a hundred miles away from the destination.
Right now I am on a 747-400 parked at KPHL and getting for a flight to Ramstein (ETAR) and am looking to make it to my destination on the first try. A flight like this may take 7 hours but was maybe looking at having 80,000 kgs of fuel in the tank. What do you all think?

2 Likes

Use Simbrief, it’ll give you everything you need, including the necessary amount of fuel.

Sometimes it is useful but not for this, for example I used Simbrief to file a plan with a A340 from EDDF to SKBO and I was 2 hours too short of fuel.

1 Like

As I have noticed this fuel problem is seen with the Globemaster, E-jets, 747s, and the A380

1 Like

Try loading the plane using (again) Simbrief, but add in the extra fuel square 4000kg more, just to be safe.

I had the same issue with the old E170. I flew between KLGA to KBOS, and I landed with the reserves I had added. I guess the problem with the fuel will be solved once the aircraft gets reworked.

So just add 4000kg more with the 747? You`re sure?

1 Like

Not really, I’ve never flown anything bigger than the B739 or A321. Wish there was a B747 pilot on the forum to further help you :/

1 Like

I will take my time and wait. Thank you :)

1 Like

7 hours + 4 hours extra fuel will fine. it depends on your aircraft weight. pax + cargo and fuel. Take note on your MTOW and MLW.

Edit: as long you will hit the MLW when you are almost arrived in your destination.

1 Like

Ahhhh so if I have a 7-hour flight, have the MLW be set up at 7 hours ahead more than regular landing weight.

I chose 300 pax and 10,000 kgs of cargo that’s all I remember. 52% fuel capacity is just enough to not worry about a thing.

Depends on your takeoff thrust, climb rate, cruise speed, altitude as well as the wind and your weight too. Consider all of these factors.

1 Like

Do 1hr extra fuel and use flaps 10 during cruise.

Yes as @FlyerCharm just mentioned USE FLAPS 10 during cruise cause the 747 has a bug where it burns way too much fuel at cruise and then if you go flaps 10 even though its unrealistic it boosts your fuel economy.

Wow, that is crazy. I wonder why that wasn’t patched…

1 Like

idk. IF has a pretty small dev team.

And I guess they do not work full time either.

1 Like

where did ya hear that?

Just a guess.

1 Like

ah. Im pretty sure they work full time. But it takes alot of coding and there dev team is pretty small especially compared to xplane.

1 Like