Advice for first flight on expert

Alright so I’m about to do my first flight on expert. I Was going to earlier but honestly I got nervous. Because I don’t wanna screw up the few chances I have. I know some of you are probably thinking “practice more” but I kind of wanna see exactly where I am and what I need to improve on. I’m thinking about doing a short trip to KLAX, not sure from which airport but it’ll probably be within 10 minutes. Any advice? Will they allow me to create such a short flight plan and land at a busy airport?

Yes, a short flight to KLAX should be fine. It’ll be pretty much the same as training server, except KLAX will be almost empty and there won’t be any ATC. ;)

If you’re planning on flying into/out of an airport with active ATC, just follow all ATC instructions, be aware of your surroundings and you’ll be okay. ATC is there to help you, so as long as you listen to them and make sure that you don’t hit any pilots, you should have a great experience.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! :)

I’ve noticed when I’ve came to close to another plane, it’ll blink red. But this was on training, so is this a violation on expert?

Nope! The plane will still appear red on Expert, but you won’t get a violation.

However, it does depend on the circumstance. If you’ve been directed by ATC to go a certain heading/altitude and you come that close with another pilot, chances are, nothing will happen. However, if you’re flying on your own within an active airspace and you get too close to another aircraft, there is a possibility that you may get ghosted.

My advice for you is to use common sense. Don’t follow your flight plan if it’s going to take you on a collision course with someone else. Just be aware of your surroundings, and all will be well.

3 Likes

Follow all atc rules request for pushback, taxi
Don’t do anything unless Atc has given you permission
Don’t enter a runway without Atc permission this was how I got my first ghosting on my first 10 minutes of being on the expert server
On approach in to a controlled airspace contact approach and they will vector you in to an airport follow strictly what they are telling you or they will ghost you. They will then hand you over to tower on final if tower instruct you to go around then follow there instructions in may be annoying this once happened to me at EGGL after 40 minutes on approach or just divert to an uncontrolled airport/airspace.

2 Likes

How do you go about diverting after ATC Gave you vectors to a direction? Do you just ignore them and they’ll know what you’re doing? Also. I’m use to making a flight plan that takes me right into the runway by using the”fixes” should I just select the airport as my destination and then contact approach for vectors to the runway?

1 Like

If you ignore them they will ghost you and contact approach about 75 - 100 nm out

1 Like

@EAG-711
When requesting an approach to an airport, select the “request approach” button, choose the desired airport and then choose the service. I usually just hit send after that, and let the controller choose what runway he wants to vector me towards.

If you’re denied entry, that’s when you’ll want to divert. If you’ve been denied entry, you won’t have been given any vectors, so just turn away from the airport and divert to an airfield that’s a good distance away from the active one.

1 Like

How do you divert to another airport then? Sorry just curious In case I’m in the situation.

Do you just request to change frequency and then go to departure? And ask for vectors to the airport you’re trying to go to?

1 Like

Let’s say tower told you to do a go around at Heathrow and told u to contact approach contact approach and ask them for an approach to let’s say stansted they will clear you of the airspace and then you are free to land

2 Likes

Why? If you’re told to go around, tower will switch you to approach and approach will vector you back in line for landing. There’s no need to divert to a different airport if you go around. :)

1 Like

If you don’t have time to let’s say line up for another 20-40 minutes

2 Likes

I can see where you’re coming from, but unless the airport is extremely busy, it should not take that long. I had to go around yesterday at SCEL (during FNF) and it took all of 10 minutes to get down on the ground.

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue this, so we don’t clog up the thread. :)

2 Likes

There’s really no need to divert. It happens very rarely. If ATC tells you to divert, simply land on an airport outside of the airports airspace that you were told to divert from, and land on an airport that suits your aircraft.

Make sure to read some existing topics regarding expert servers. They are very helpful.

1 Like

No it just means your too close you will know if you get a violation when a warning ⚠️ sign pops up in your screen

1 Like

And remember that every single violation on Training server is also in the Expert server. The only difference is that you can get Ghosted by ATC on expert, but on training you can’t.

1 Like

Thank you,

When you request to taxi and ATC tells you the runway and to contact them when ready, what option do I select once I’m ready? I feel like remaining in the pattern is for after take off? So I’d select departing and then the direction I’m looking to take? And then from there I’ll be handed over to departure?

Just contact Tower. It’s the same on Training. Just follow what ATC tells you. That’s it. You shouldn’t be worried as all you need to do is follow ATC instructions.

Honestly ATC just usually cleared me for takeoff before I got the chance to even reach the runway or select an option. But after take off do you select remaining in the pattern?

If you are doing patterns than select remaining in the pattern.

However make sure to check ATIS frequency first and check if the airport allows patterns.

If you are not doing patterns, just select departing
(to the direction your airport is located)

1 Like