Advanced Controllers and Inexperienced Flyers...

It’s time for honestly, I don’t care if this is a duplicate if it is feel free to close it. I believe it should be pinned.

Since the grade chance, controllers have been bombarded by inexperienced pilots. These being people who don’t understand commands, who screw around on free flight and playground until they have the standing and XP to fly on advanced.

As soon as they are on advanced they are suddenly EXPERTS!!! Um… No… Let’s slow down.

From a controllers point of view we have to put up with you people not understanding the most basic of instructions until the point of which we can ghost you, yes that’s right we don’t just ghost you whenever. Every ghosting has ramifications and is investigated for quality of service QOS.

“Please check help pages for assistance using ATC instructions” THIS IS NOT A JOKE. This is a serious statement. If you get this is a PRETTY CLEAR message that you are not following instructions and NOT doing what you have been directed to do. There are topics EVERYWHERE on this forum. You can never say you can’t find help. Here are some great examples of inexperience pilots spoiling everything.

“Cleared for takeoff” yes that’s right you can takeoff right away!! Not sit on the runway for 30 seconds spooling your engines. It means TAKEOFF! The follow up to this sucker which is probably the most obvious yet misunderstood phrase. “Line up and wait”… “Um sorry what do I do?” ITS IN THE MESSAGE! Use your initiative. Line up on the runway and STAY THERE, don’t roll slowly, don’t takeoff, just stay put and wait until you are cleared for takeoff. And for gods sake, DO NOT request takeoff again, believe it or not we are aware you are on the runway.

Remaining in the pattern.
OMG. I would have a million dollars by now if I had one dollar for every time someone got this wrong. Just like line up and wait, it’s in the name. Every RUNWAY has a pattern based around it. I’m not going to waste my time and put up a diagram, there are about 50 on this forum. Just type Pattern in the quick search. Do not say ‘remaining in the pattern’ and fly away. It is one of the most annoying things for an ATC. We plan your pattern literally as you takeoff to work out where you will fit I with traffic. When you continue to go straight out we then ask for intentions and get a departure request back… Um… Not anymore please. ATC have made this clear so many times. So I really hope this is the final straw.

Frequency Change Approved, people argue about this saying “but I technically don’t have to change frequency”. Let me clue everyone in for a sec… WE DONT WANT YOU ON OUR FREQUENCY. Most of the time it’s because your just clogging the frequency, your needed anymore so do the following.
Hit the ATC frequency Menu,
Switch to the nearest Unicom or Tower.
Do not stay on our Frequency. Controllers are aware of some areas which are in dead zones and the pilots can’t hangs frequency. ONLY under these circumstances will this be Allowed.

One other thing. NEVER enter a runway without permission, it’s a recipe for an instant ghost.

I believe most controllers will agree with this message to ALL pilots, even if you are experienced, maybe just run over the books one more time… You may learn something. The fact is pilots who do the right thing et stuffed around by us trying to work in someone who dosent understand what your telling them. Read that twice? That’s because it didn’t make sense, but that’s what we have to deal with

Expidite. This word by definition means: ‘Make it happen, make it happen quickly’. In ATC minds it’s… GET OFF THE RUNWAY THERE IS TRAFFIC ABOUT TO LAND AND WAITING TO TAKEOFF. Helpful tip aswell. You can go faster than 35knots whilst on a runway. I tend to taxi at around 70knots If hit with an Expidite.

(This next paragraph is by a fellow controller)
May I also add to this rant, when we vector you off of your flight plan, please listen. I cannot tell you how important it is for you to listen. Yes it may take longer, but we are trying to handle all of the traffic. Also be aware, we have more than just you to worry about. Spamming the frequency won’t give you anymore priority than the others. If we tell you to expect vectors, then don’t ask again 3 minutes later. This happened to me multiple times during last weeks FNF. ~ @DavidCutler

So I ask with all my heart and passion for this game and on behalf of all controllers.

Please… Do not fly on the advanced server if you don’t understand intructions.

-------(UPDATE)-------
Attention all viewers of this topic, after a discussion with @Tyler_Shelton, I have found out a few things. The grade change which seems a simple fix I found out was a lot harder than I first anticipated. The team are working toward a solution to the grading system for the best possible experience. This topic was a bit rude but in my opinion, it’s Forward, I have contemplated closing it but I will keep it open as a form as ‘truth hurts’. Because this is what really happens, I hope it is seen as informative, not negative, it’s has come out in a negative light to a few people. But what you think of this topic is your personal opinion.

Thanks everyone for your support and opinions.
Lachy M

132 Likes

Nice topic! I hope People listen to this

2 Likes

Emotions aside, if they want to learn the hard way, then give it to them. Ghost them until they learn.

2 Likes

Lachy head down to you,nothing more better then this can be said,still after this people don’t understand,I have only two words for them,GOD BLESS.

5 Likes

I agree that this is frustrating, believe me I have had many rants and raves whilst controlling on the advanced server, but I think that constant facebook and forum posts will not help sort this situation out as the users that do not know how to fly or follow instruction are not an active part of this community. I floated an idea the other day on the IFFG page about removing the pretty screenshots and putting basic instructions that rotate on the loading screen, maybe this is something that can be looked into?

12 Likes

Well said mate

1 Like

Finally, someone had to open there mouth. Well done Lachy, we need someone that adresses these matters. Hopefully, we have less peanuts.

11 Likes

They should make it so it’s not easily found.

3 Likes

Hopefully that’s being worked on. 🙏

2 Likes

Well said. As an Advanced ATC I understand your frustration 100%.

3 Likes

May I also add to this rant, when we vector you off of your flight plan, please listen. I cannot tell you how important it is for you to listen. Yes it may take longer, but we are trying to handle all of the traffic. Also be aware, we have more than just you to worry about. Spamming the frequency won’t give you anymore priority than the others. If we tell you to expect vectors, then don’t ask again 3 minutes later. This happened to me multiple times during last weeks FNF.

7 Likes

I had to add it in 👍

I get it…I like being an ATC anywhere I can since I enjoy it (mostly at KJFK ;-) but when the people dont understand BASIC instructions start doing whatever they want, it ruins the fun.

2 Likes

And there was me thinking that controlling on Advanced would be a breeze compared to the shenanigans on PG ;-)

3 Likes

Controlling on the advanced server isn’t any easier. Yes there are less nimrods, but as an advanced controller you’re obligated to know every single term in the commands. We also need to provide the best quality service to each and every pilot. It isn’t as much of a breeze as you might think, but the controllers in IFATC are a tight knit community. The impact is affected all around.

1 Like

Well done mate well done , someone had to speak it out but you nailed it man ! I wish this was loading screen on IF or like a user agreement whenever someone enters advanced server LOL neatly done mate !

2 Likes

ATC need to pass test, IRL you need to get experience and demonstrate capability. Why not for Advanced Server. There should be a score provided for capability to adhere to ATC commands before you can fly at a Bravo airport on Advanced!

7 Likes

I imagine that as more and more commands get implemented along with the program that I’m developing, something like that will eventually take place. How? Your guess is as good as mine.

2 Likes

Am I experienced enough to fly on the Advanced server? D:

I think that most of the forum’s users already know these basic things.
We need in-app Help Pages.

2 Likes

If you aren’t sure about some stuff, I would recommend subscribing to the IFATC channel on YouTube. Informational videos once a week (I think)

3 Likes