Adding the flagging option for duplicate topic

I find a lot of duplicate topics these days and I can’t tag the mod. But there isn’t an option for it when I flag and I’m too lazy to say what’s up. So I want to add the duplicate topic flagging option

What do you guys think?

8 Likes

@Boeing707 has requested this multiple times.

3 Likes

Yea, just a button you’d press, paste the link of the duplicate one, and done, flagged.

2 Likes

As a mod, I agree. My inbox is full of flags with just “duplicate.” written and it’s getting annoying.

I’ll try and chase this up…

8 Likes

I don’t see how our inboxes getting full will help us solve the problem. Believe it or not, we also want to tackle this at the source, and have tried numerous solutions (preventing posting in certain categories for lower trust levels, etc.). Something will always slip through the cracks.

We can’t just “expedite a solution” because of this. It’s not an easy problem to solve :)

Thanks Cam, appreciate it

@IceBlue I searched for it and can’t see anything

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I know (I dedicate countless hours to this place and I can tell you that all it’s not paradise) ;)

However, we can’t realistically “get it done” if you’re throwing a pile of work at us so that we implement a solution (which we do not have, and I have not seen you suggest one either).

Have a nice day yourself Max :)

1 Like

The thing is, there’s always going to be a user who circumvents (or at least tries) the solution; that’s a main issue of user interface design :)

We already have the pop up warning suggesting similar topics (it goes a step beyond what you suggested, it does the searching for them). Most seem to ignore this though.

2 Likes

This is very true. Amazing that so many people can write topics but seemingly cannot read!

4 Likes

I don’t think duplicate topics should be flagged, for new users at least. New users entering the community want to contribute and help to make the sim better, and we welcome them with a flag? Doesn’t sound right to me. They should be kindly pointed in the right direction, a flag is a punishment and is not necessary, especially for those who are new.

1 Like

As long as it is not flagged as spam or offensive, it is not a ‘punishment’ that is counted against them.

@carmalonso… Max Sez. In the spirt of collegiality I have deleted my off putting suggestion. I can’t speak for others but I appreciate your efforts and regret my action! It was ill advised and was far from an acceptable solution.
Mea Culpa!

But if you get a certain number of flags you can’t be a regular. So it’s a punishment. I thought the type of flag didn’t matter, no?

Max, don’t worry about it, honestly! Free-speech (within reason) is an important value of this forum. :)

3 Likes

Nah I think only spam/offensive flags count against your trust level.

From Discourse:

Regular (3)

Regulars are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time.

They can get to trust level 3 by…

This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days…

must have visited at least 50% of days
must have replied to at least 10 different topics
of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25%
of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25%
must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
must not have been suspended

@carson it’s only accepted flags as far as I’m aware.

@AR_AR this is from Philippe, so I’m not sure if it’s all flags are just those. So you don’t accept flags that say “duplicate?” @carmalonso

Yes we do, but we also take manual action, closing/merging the thread with a manually written message to the OP explaining why (at least that’s what I do).

Ok so then it does count toward their trust level and stays on their record.