Add "Back Taxi" Message To Unicom Frequency

There are many airports which require pilots to backtaxi on the runway because there are no taxiway available.

On Tower ATC, the backtaxi command is already available. On Unicom, it’s missing.

It could sound like this:
„London City Unicom, MCH-98 is backtaxiing Runway 27.“

In my opinion, this would be a major improvement in Unicom communication on those airports.

Wow i totally agree! Got my vote, just remember to vote for your own too. Just experienced this when backtaxiing at HAAB in Addis Ababa.

1 Like

Great request! The devs are currently redoing the ATC as one can see on @Laura on instagram

They are, indeed. That’s why I’m requesting this now. Maybe they can add it during the current ATC rework.

1 Like

I love the idea, I can’t recall how many times I’ve been landed on, during a backtaxi. As @speedbirdheavy said, ATC is being reworked, it’s entirely possible this is already being added.

2 Likes

I know your intentions are good, but please avoid tagging developers :)

6 Likes

The ATC feature is currently being updated for the next update, hopefully, FDS may have already thought about this and we may see it in the next update (fingers crossed 🤞)!

2 Likes

Unicom hasn’t been touched in a while. I’m not sure whether they’re going to change it this time. Fingers are crossed, yes!

1 Like

Yes this is needed, especially at London City Airport, as I’ve gotten in trouble several times due to atc misunderstandings

1 Like

I was actualy talking to people in my VA about this a couple days ago

1 Like

Good idea but I’m out of votes :/

2 Likes

London City is only one of many candidates but definitely one if the airportd which would benefit the most. That’s why I used EGLC as a n example in the suggestion.

Kind of feels like the back taxi request(pilot side) should be added to tower frequency too, not only unicom.

For ATC: Should go something like like N1MC, requesting backtaxi takeoff runway 27, departing north
For unicom: N1MC is backtaxiing 27

I don’t think it’s necessary on controlled ATC for pilot side.

If the controller wants you to backtaxi, he‘ll instruct you to do so. The same if he wants you to taxi via a normal taxiway. If there’s no other choice than backtaxiing, he or she will notice that.

On Unicom it’s different. There is no controller and pilots need to be able to communicate with each other whether they’re only crossing the runway or actually backtaxiing on it, which requires much more time.

we really need this, even if this is only unicom, I hope this also included in the ATC rework for the upcoming update… :)

2 Likes

Great suggestion, although I think they should add pushing back, and taxiing to gate for unicom

Some controllers thinks a small aircraft can takeoff from the taxiway enterance but in fact you can’t. This is why the requesting helps

1 Like

This would come in handy.

1 Like

Definitely. I just had another situation yesterday.

At the moment, I always use the „Cross Runway“ message when I’m backtaxiing although it’s actually pretty risky. A backtaxi message would definitely bring more safety and clarity.

1 Like

Would be very useful.

1 Like