Across the pond

I have a idea for a yearly event on IF.
The idea is that once a year the IFATC will open several airports in on each side of the Atlantic the pilots will be able to fly from each side and the direction of travel will change each year for example if we do east to west one year we then do west to east the next year. I understand a lot of people post these sort of events but if this were to be done officially in collaboration with IFATC and the events team it would be really enjoyable.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re thinking about this, and it’s definitely something cool we could hopefully do in the future but even on a day like today, right now you could leave any of the Major European airports and have IFATC, and fly to a major US airport where you will likely get it on arrival

1 Like

Yeah but this would be a official yearly event

1 Like

thats pretty much the same as ATC around the world in 24hrs

1 Like

I see what you mean here but it would be a special event and the airports would be open all day both sides

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean, and it’s a good idea, I’m just saying you could kind of do a flight like that on the around the world schedule

1 Like

I know this but I’m saying its going to be something that everyone can enjoy no matter what time zone they live in. So it will be a official event not part of the ATC schedule

1 Like

Yes, but what they want is a huge event, like an FNF. I think this would be a great idea! It would be very interesting. The only small problem might be that there would be sooo many people that it would be insane. Even if you opened up loads of airports, people would still have hour or two hour delays in Heathrow and JFK. Great idea though! Did you think of this from the similar thing that VATSIM do?

Yes I participated in vatsim event and thought it would be a good idea to do, and to keep congestion low participates would have to book a gate at the start airport

1 Like

That is a very good idea, I like it. It would make the idea of a slot time very realistic in the sim. Definitely happy someone thought of this!

1 Like

Let me know if you need any help or tips on how to organize it, I am one of the main people organizing the VATSIM version (with over 3000 participants last year), and can provide you with tips on routings, slot times, oceanic procedurese etc… :)

that would be great if you could help to organise it, could you PM me?

Well, this could be massively helped by the NAT announcement.

Hey,

It’s definitely a nice idea. I do question if it’ll be any fun however. IFATC events/scheduled are great because we offer a host of short-haul and medium-haul options for flights, as well as the possibility of ending/starting long-haul flights at an IFATC-controlled airport.

This idea only caters for the last type of flight which many mayn’t find fun to do during the day. Most long-haul flights (a safe generalisation, not a quantitative fact) are done overnight — when device usage for non-IF things is probable to be low. IFATC events peak around 1500 Zulu onwards (another safe generalisation). If we presume even the shorter transatlantic flights take 7 hours and that many like to fly from busy airports at peak times, the event may be asking people to abandon their primary devices from 1500 Zulu to 2200 Zulu. I do not believe this long-haul-only setup would be very popular.

That being said, I don’t see the point of long-haul simulation flying so am never bound to be much of a ‘yes-man’ for this idea.

Thanks,
Patrick

I their will be multiple airports available for long and short flights.

Hey,

Oh! I wrongly believed it would be solely focused on transatlantic flights. That was rather clear in the original post, so that is all an error on my side…

I don’t think it needs the pomp and circumstance of a grand yearly official event, but it should be a type of setup involved in the rotation. I do like the idea!

Thanks,
Patrick

Yeah, no one said you have to fly across the pond. For example if we have the following airports open…
EGLL
KJFK
EGCC
KBOS
EGKK
KIAD

You could fly from Paris to London or Chicago to New York. That wsy, you get your short haul, while everyone who des want to take part in the event can fly over the Atlantic.Edit, just saw your last reply, I see what you mean

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.