Across A Continent In An XCub | Part 1

I’ve recently read a book, titled ‘Flight of Passage’, written by Rinker Buck, which recounts the events that he and his brother encountered in 1966, when they flew across the Continental United States in a Piper Cub. Inspired by this, I decided to undertake the same flight, in the underused XCub that is available to us in Infinite Flight. I dragged along @Errigal for the flight, and it’s turned out to be fun! From our start in Morristown, New Jersey, we will be flying to John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California. Enjoy!

Details

Route: KMMU - PN73
Aircraft: XCub
Server: Expert

Parked at Morristown, getting the FPL together. I am in the Red and White, while @Errigal flies the EAA 50th.

After a short takeoff roll, and a circle around the field, we get to the FPL, and try some formation flying (as a flight of 2)

Turning west after a short southern leg from Morristown

Past the Pennsylvania-New Jersey border, and Errigal breaks off to the left

After a short stop in Butter Valley (7N8), PN, we’re off for a short flight to Bally Spring Farm (PA35)

Sitting at Bally Spring, for a short lunch/coffee break

Heading west again, for our final stop of the day in Beers Farm (PN73)

Flying in a tight formation with the small, but powerful, XCub

After some mediocre landings, the XCubs are parked, and all turned off

Catching the last light of the day, as the sun sets below some mountains

I hope you liked the pictures! I’m still working on my editing, so let me know if you think these are over edited.

Rate my editing

0 voters

Favorite Photo?

0 voters

21 Likes

That is really cool! How long do you predict this whole journey will take?

2 Likes

probably more than a week. maybe 2 or 3. seeing as we dont have all day to fly, we’ll be flying a bit at a time…

2 Likes

So happy to be doing this! All the small airports to stop off at are amazing and can’t wait to explore America!

1 Like

So that’s what @Z-Tube and I heard at about 5am this morning

5 Likes

Classic❤ like them!

2 Likes

Glad to see someone using the XCub, one of my personal favorites. I’d love to join you on another leg of your flight (seen as this is part 1), just send me a PM when you’re flying again. 🙂

Awesome photos!

2 Likes

Will do! thanks for the support!

2 Likes

I have been getting into the x-cub lately and I must say it’s a fun challenge. Really nicely done!

2 Likes

That would explain it.

Nice photos, @Aviation108! Glad to see some GA aircraft and airports being utilized.

3 Likes

Great job on this @Aviation108!

2 Likes

Nice idea and screenshots! I enjoyed reading that book, too. Such a different time.

2 Likes

Thank you! It was a good book!

1 Like

By the way, amazing book.

Is once reading that I’ve wanted to fly across the country one day. The GA world sure has changed from those small airports and flying without a radio.

2 Likes

Factual

I would’ve done this, but it’s expert so…

2 Likes

I’m not very good at flying the XCub but it still sounds like a fun journey. I hope you enjoy it.

2 Likes