About the timing of disengaging the AP

Guys, normally when do you disengage the autopilot ? Like attitude or distance from the airport ? Wanna to be realistic as possible , so yeah thanks again for answering.

1 Like

I usually disengage the A/P when I am 10 nm from the runway. What I have been doing a lot recently is using the APPR mode to guide my aircraft in on the G/S and the Localizer, and then disengaging the A/P on short final. This boosts the realism factor greatly.

3 Likes

Depends if I’m flying a visual or an instrument approach. Visually, I disconnect as soon as I have the field in sight. For an instrument approach, usually around 10 or 15 miles out, depending on where I intercept or am cleared for the approach.

2 Likes

May I ask how do u use the APPR ? Becoz when I tried to engage it, it sudden moved the pitch up in a great degree and seem lost of control…( Sorry to ask , as I’m a beginner to this game )

i do the same thing!

1 Like

Check this out;

1 Like

If you are flying too low, and engage the APPR mode, the aircraft will pitch up and climb to meet the glideslope. Also, if you are going faster than 200kts, the aircraft will start flying S-turns to lose airspeed. I usually engage APPR when the aircraft is almost on the glideslope, and almost perfectly on the localizer. I usually stop my descent at 4000-4500 feet.

3 Likes

I do it at about 5-3 nm from the airport.
Sometimes even 500 from the runway.

1 Like

Check your weight and balance setting…set it to light. May work in medium also…alll I know is that it doesn’t work in heavy.

I typically use AP (Not APPR) all the way down to aid with flaring.

I’ll disengage HDG when I’m lining up with the ILS and disengage ALT when I encounter the glide slope. I keep SPD on as I find it easier to manage my airspeed with it, then disengage shortly before touchdown so I can throttle to idle on the flare.

Usually 1000-1500 ft AGL, but if I’m flying an aircraft without APPR, it may go to about 2000-2500 ft AGL. (I disengage the AP completely)

I never use APPR. I Keep AP on until I am cleared for the approach. For VISUAL I disengage all BUT speed when I have visual. Speed is then taken over manually at 6-10 miles. Depends on winds. If bad turbulence/cross wind and I’m fighting with my device, I leave speed on until roughly 1-2 nm from touchdown since it’s hard to manage speed moving around that much without shifting the view. For low vis and instrument approach I line up with the runway and get on glide slope then disengage AP roughly 3-5 miles from touchdown using the Glode slope to guide me until I have visual. I could use APPR but it’s good fun to do it manually and great practice.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.