About flaring...

Guys I’m a bit confused about flaring , so may I ask which is the correct procedure when landing ? To flare then idle the throttle or idle first then to flare ? Or idle when lifting up the yoke at the same time ? … thanks for getting this clear. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

From what I know, aircraft are usually fully configured to land at around 1,000 feet AGL, and right before touchdown, the aircraft goes into “retard” mode, where the throttles are pulled back and the nose is pulled up into a flare. I’m pretty sure, in real world aviation, this normally happens at the same time, since there are multiple crew members, and an auto throttle, but I’m not sure if there even should be a real order. They should happen around the same time, but I would think that pulling up first would be a safer choice. I’m not sure that’s all 100% accurate information, but that’s the best answer I have for you :)

4 Likes

But If you would pull the yoke/sidestick up during the engines are still running at like 50percent of Maximum your aircraft would Start to ascend I think you should first put throttel on idle before pulling up

1 Like

Would you have your engine up to 50% on short final? The only aircrafts I could thing that would need that much power then are heavies that have auto throttles

2 Likes

A very loaded question. Too many variables IRL to give a “standard” answer. Here is what one A320 Pilot says on the matter;

Couple of things you need to remember is that at flaps full the attitude is around 2.5 nose up, if flaps at 3, then attitude is at 5 nose up. So we know that its a nose up approach attitude
the basic idea of the flare in this aircraft is to arrest the descent rate. The attitude needs to change very little
When i hear the 40 callout, i check which keeps the descent going but reduces it to about 400/500 ft/min. The reason i check at 40 feet is because by the time i hear it and my brain processes it my hand pulls back on the stick when im around 30 feet.
Then around 20 i hold about half stick in to set the attitude to land. Once the attitude is set, let the aircraft land. Normally the attitude is around 5 degrees nose up, however since you look outside visually, id say you need to see most of the runway. (its impossible to tell you how much you should see)

As for the power, with a strong headwind i cut it at 20.
With little wind i let it tell me retard once, then cut it.
With a tailwind, bring the power back at 40.
All of this is ball park and every situation is different so dont take all this as the way to do it.

Small note on flare mode (its in your FCOM)
At 50 feet, the aircraft is in Flare mode. It memorises your pitch attitude and slowly lowers the nose at 30 feet. This lowering of the nose is so that you can slowly ease some backpressure in set the attitude to land. Basically give u some control of the landing.

Remember set the attitude and let it land, cut the power according to the conditions and things should get a lot easier.

7 Likes

Like @Zachary_Meir_Tish mentioned, they happen very close together and may “overlap” at times. It all depends on your approach, speed, vs, conditions and aircraft.

*Is some lighter aircraft, if you cut the throttle too soon on landing, they will drop out of the sky like a stone, so cutting it early is a no, no.

2 Likes

Thanks for all those comments

1 Like

Yes you would. For a 737 fully configured your pitch power datum is about 2° nose up and 56% N1.

3 Likes

What I would do is set n1 to approx. 45% then when the GPWS calls out 50 I’ll put the throttle to idle and 20 start flare

1 Like

What I was taught in flight school is when your over the numbers, idle throttle (again depends on aircraft) and then flare and hold the nose off as long as possible

2 Likes

The “retard, retard” alarm is when you’re supposed to put thrust to idle, not sure the exact moment you flare but it’s either right before or right after.

It really comes down to the aircraft in IF. For instance I usually leave thrust on the 737 until touch down because the 737 struggles to maintain speed at lower power. For other aircraft I wait until I begin to flare.

MaxSez: Never Forget, a Landing is a “Controlled Crash”! Emphasis on Controlled! Maintaining just enough forward energy on a stable platform is the key.

2 Likes

Get to know your aircraft in several configurations. The same speeds, flare, flaps, etc may not always apply depending on several factors.

1 Like

As a beginner , in only practising on 787 and a320… it’s totally different feeling with these two, but I feel a320 is a bit harder due to the ground effect…

A320 is easy as a baby to land. Try slowing it down a tad.

Yes but airbus in IF don’t have retard callouts

1 Like

The A320 is small so it can be easily carried by wake turbulence or windshear. I think the A380 is a good beginner plane to start off with :) (if you really want to use the A320 adjust the load)

Actually you should start with smaller aircraft, so you get used to it.

It’s easier to maneuver, but difficult to grease the landing