Ability To See Runway Length In Metres

Hi IFC!

This is quite a simple yet nice feature to have: the ability to see runway length in metres.
In settings, there is already the option to change between metric and imperial units in terms of weight, but when you go to view airfield information on the map, you have to see the runway length in feet. It would be nice to be able to choose to have it display in metres as well.

Why?
Well, I often here it referred to in metres IRL. Maybe not in the states for the obvious reason, but that’s why it should be an option.
Not sure what else to say really.

I agree, it would be a nice touch, and nice to have if the devs ever get some spare time though it’s definitely not necessary in my opinion

4 Likes

I do agree with the point of being able to see in both units and it will definitely help when planning, especially if you are used to meters.

However, I got very used to feet when measuring runway lengths because of playing IF.

It’s not neseccary for me but maybe a good touch.

1 Like

The thing is, aviation lives on imperial units. All big organizations measure in someone’s feet and back yards, and it doesn’t seem it will change soon. I haven’t seen a single information about runway requirements in metric system in any aircraft info brochures

1 Like

Ok, I have seen/heard otherwise in a few cases but alright

Visibility in METAR & TAF is in Km and temperature in Celsius if I’m not mistaken.
Not sure about runways though 😬

Ok, firstly remember this is all region specific. In the states, yes, vis is in KM, tepm is in Celcius. In europe, vis is in metres.
Usually in the US runway length is in feet, as it is in IF. Where as in Europe I often see/here it in metres. It depends on the region.

😅😅 my point was too answer to the comment From @Alexander_Nikitinsayonf that aviation lives on imperial unit which therefore isn’t true.

Km and meters both are part of the metric system by the way. 1km = 1,000m.

I wished that the US switched to the metric system once and for all but it won’t happen any time soon lol

1 Like

In Europe I often see both. It would be great for people who don’t know anything about imperial units but I don’t have votes anymore.

2 Likes

Oh! Of course 🙄 , sorry,

1 Like

Not true. Most METARs across the world measure visibility in meters. Same for runway lengths. Diamond Aircraft (for one) gives its takeoff and landing distances in metres in the operating handbook. Temperatures are in Celsius. QNH is in hPa (which is an SI unit, but corresponds to millibars which is metric).
However, I don’t think an in-app converter for these kinds of units is necessary yet…Pilots IRL get the information as it is and do the conversions separately.

2 Likes

Never gonna happen, feet is used all over the globe, even in my country where we have everything different than American measurements and such. It’s just how it is in aviation, if you really enjoy IF and Aviation in general I’d recommend you to start learning true aviation. Not cheap substitutes.

This was SO unnecessarily displeasing.

I’ve lived 30 years in Europe, for the past 8 years in the US, traveled in way over 50 counties, have been working 20 years in the aerospace industry and have held my PPL… and I can confirm to you that
• NOPE, feet is not used all over the globe (many times even not in US aerospace engineering);
• NOPE the metric system is not a cheap substitute.

Feet is a standard in aviation for the altitude, but I think that’s pretty much about it. The rest is a mix of both systems.

2 Likes

So how come I see/hear real-world pilots saying stuff like “3,000 metres of runway, so that’s plenty for us”

1 Like

Pretty much everything you wrote right there is exactly what I meant. Feet is used all over the world, it really depends on the airline. My friend is a pilot and that’s where I got the information. I never said it’s the ONLY measurement I clearly said it’s THE one used all over the globe. Atleast a lot more than metres. The point of the entire message was that transferring feet to metres is an easy task. It’s literally just dividing the amount of feet by 3 and you’ll have it in metres, pretty much.
As feet IS the most common one obv it’d be used in IF, they have more important things to take care of than something a normal human being could figure out simply by dividing amount of feet by 3. Easy peasy? Or no?
Also I don’t know if you understood what I meant by “In aviation” I’m talking from the view of a pilot, not an engineer 😓…

Either they have it in metres, which isnt as common as in feet. Or they just convert feet into metres which is literally the easiest math ever. Divide the amount of feet into 3 and you’ll have a good estimation. 3000 metres would be a 9000ft runway.