A380 sales declining?

All the information needed is below!
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/airbus-cut-output-slow-selling-a380-superjumbo-143628981--finance.html
What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Its the same story as with the 747-8, their twin engined counterparts (B777/A330) are filled quicker, and I guess they’re cheaper.
The A380 would have had a great career as a freighter though.

13 Likes

It’s a niche aircraft which is seeing it’s niche squeezed by the Boeing 777-9 and the A350-1000 (and potential A350-8000 if launched).

They should capture a few more orders from existing customers who want to refresh their fleet, but no obvious orders are looming.

Tough times and even the Airbus board are scratching their heads wondering what to do with it. A380 NEO? A380-900 stretch? Who knows where we go from here.

1 Like

If any airline puts a big order in for the a380 (I don’t think they will) it’ll be Emirates, because as stated, Airbus have sold 143 a380s 75 of which are to Emirates!

3 Likes

Which is a both a blessing and a curse. Yes, they get the orders, but the margins will be tiny and minimal profit - they have hardly any negotiating power.

1 Like

Maybe its because Emirates is supported (there’s another word instead of support) by its government.
And because they use it with a 737 role.

1 Like

That is probably why!

1 Like

Enlarging an already big aircraft (with up to 800 seats on a single class) that has not orders? They sure want to waste money.

1 Like

Is that word funded?

1 Like

Yes that one.

Anyone remember this “The A380 is the best way to capturing global air traffic, which doubles every 15 years.”

2 Likes

It still may be as more “mega cities” emerge and become slot constrained.

The question is can Airbus afford to hold on until the mid 2020s when this explosive growth is due to take place.

It seems the A380 is a plane designed before it’s time, yet airlines only care about now.

1 Like

Declining? Not really, just doing the same as the last few years if you ignore EK.

Don’t care too much. The A380, while it is big, isn’t really important. To me it’s just an elephant of a plane, and I don’t see much loss if it doesn’t attract any more orders.

3 Likes

Ohh my gosh! Sales declining! No suprise. It’s too big and no one wants it besides Emirates.

2 Likes

Yes. No country (except maybe the ME3 countries) have a high enough demand for an A388 that 1 or 2 777s can’t do by themselves. IMO more airlines should order the 779 or -10 but only 4 or 5 have done so (correct me if I’m wrong) namely Etihad, Emirates (they placed an order for like 100 right?), Lufthansa(finally the 777), and one more I can’t remember.

1 Like

Just read this:

This will explain why A380’s are great for some airlines…

@Sturmovik why would it be a great cargo airplane?

3 Likes

They could replace the belugas and carry some A318s ;)

4 Likes

A380s carrying A318s… Now that rhymes!

1 Like

I guess, we don’t need Jumbo Jet anymore, we are more likely to fill up the twin-engine aircraft like 777/A330. I am wondering, how can Emirates fill their Jumbo Jet.