A380 Program Ended - Last Delivery set for 2021

I mean lets be honest the reason of its death is because of 1. the loss of the A380F which caused lost orders 2. Newer twin jets with long range, these aircraft are the 787/a350/ and the 777x these are causing the death of the a38 because of the hub and spoke model instead of hub to hub. 3. Fuel costs and the pure size of the plane. This. Plane. Is. Too. Big. For. Any. Market.

That is very very true but I think that if smaller jets like the a350 or the 787 can be converted into freighters then those can be very good for the freight market as they would be very easy to fill.

The problem for the freight market is they need big jets because cargo is transported between big hubs where they handle large amounts of cargo, they need planes that take large amounts of cargo while passenger aircraft need to connect small hubs to small hubs

Very true.

They should seriously consider a freighter programme for the A380. think about it. two levels combined with an insane range.

I’ve just copied this text from another A380-A380F conversion related topic which I previously commented on:

That probably will not happen. Cargo Airlines like Fedex and UPS have looked at the Hypothetical A380-F, but honestly it would just be too big to utilise, and not only that, it would also make it unprofitable. I have copied a couple of paragraphs from an article, found linked here, so if you wish to read it, you can. But anyway, the above linked article states

“The hypothetical freighter equivalent of the A380 would get too heavy as it approaches its volume limit.

An A380-F would be too fat to fly at a profit: The plane would hit the maximum payload before its maximum cubic space. Its design can’t support the maximum payload required to generate a profit.

Consider a comparison with the Boeing 747-400F, a popular air freighter. The 747 has a maximum take-off weight of 448,000 kilograms to the A380’s 575,000. In addition, the 747 has a cargo capacity of 710 meters cubed to the hypothetical A380-F’s 1134 metres cubed. The A380-F would be able to carry 60% more volume than the 747, but only 28% more weight. It wouldn’t be fully loaded at typical levels of air cargo density, or at least nothing close to what can be supported by the thrust capacity of the 747.

The A380 is much better adapted as a passenger plane than as a cargo plane.”

That doesn’t mean there probably won’t be some type of converted freighter, but the above mentioned article probably means that “The Whale” will not be sustainable as a converted cargo aircraft.

The A380 was a project that was introduced almost 20-30 years after the prime time of air travel, when people were flying more than ever - but with rising fuel and oil prices, plus being out of date - Airbus already killed the A380 when it was already a concept. Although the plane has many impressive records, it’s legacy - well it probably won’t have one, apart from being a “Flying Whale”. The 747 however, will always be a technological marvel - and although the 747-8 is probably the last variant of the plane, it’s had a good history from good to bad.

Am I sad to see the A380 go? No.

Airbus killed its plane with other, more fuel efficient aircraft. This product was just a waste of space, time and resources. Airbus should focus on fuel efficiency and point to point flying rather than a hub and spoke model of flying, it’s better to the airline operating the fleet and also better for the passenger for an easier connection.

I’m not loyal to Boeing or anything like that, but it just definitely goes to show when you compete with a legend who has an award winning history, you’re doomed to fail and lose the battle. If Airbus will kill production of the A380, we can possibly still see the 747-8F in production as this plane has a large amount of orders.

That’s how it works when your the Queen!

The problem is that Airbus released the A380 (which is a fuel guzzler compared to planes like the 787 and A350) at a time when fuel prices were starting to rise significantly - the demand switched to smaller, more fuel-efficient planes and therefore it wasn’t very popular

Boeing released the 747 at a time when fuel prices were low (compared to now) and also there was plenty of demand for it - PAN AM asked Boeing to build a plane like the 747 so there was significant demand for it - whereas with the A380, did any airline actually ask for it? - the story is Airbus just wanted to get up to the top alongside Boeing at the 747 - but it has completely backfired!

Goodbye A380 - you had a (lets just say) interesting life.

Well the reason the 747 did so well is there was no effiecnt alternate with all those trijets around. And hub based airlines were a lot more common then today.

1 Like

Look how early orders were placed for the A380, you don’t get that unless airlines wanted it. And the B747 wasn’t plain sailing either, it was the beginning of the end for Pan am and TWA thanks to owning those aircraft. The A380 has broken even at this point anyway so backfired is a vast over statement considering amongst the younger gernation it’s the most iconic jet. People who know nothing about planes will be more aware of what an A380 is now over the jumbo especially those on social media having seen the in board bars/ lounges, showers etc, that’s just the way it is. So it was hugely popular overall and Airbus is seen as a manufacturer who can make a vast range of aircraft, big or small.

2 Likes

Well considered that McDonnell Douglas and Boeing both canceled their double deckers because they knew it wouldn’t takeoff. Boeing knew an efficient medium sized plane would takeoff though, so they made that, Airbus realising they screwed up made the A350
I think Airbus should have seen the warning signs from the two companies

The A380 project will end after the last delivery proposed for 2021.

2 Likes

This really is unfortunate. The worlds large commercial airplane is not going to be produced any longer. I hope that someone comes along and saves the program (unlikely). I will one day experience an a380 for myself. The aviation market just currently has no room for a380. I will miss the a380, and hope that it stays in service for as long as possible

1 Like

Wow, it’s crazy to be sitting here hearing about this, not only has a major airliner just been effectively put out of production, but what this means for the market for the whole, I think we all saw it coming, but I don’t think we’ll stop seeing the A380 anytime soon…

Times have changed. The airline industry is shifting from hub-and-spoke to point-to-point network.
Meanwhile, the very larger twinjets such as the 77W, 777X and the A35K can carry many passengers efficiently without requiring the extra size of the a380.
This makes the a380 risky to operate hence uneconomical.

This does thrown a bit of a lifeline to the 330 neo though, that wasn’t doing so hot. Bet the conversation went something like this:

Emirates: “we don’t want the A380”

Airbus: “If you wolnt save ou’re big failing airplane will you save ou’re smaller one?”

Emirates: “will we get a discount?”

Airbus: “yep”

Emirates: “great, we’ll take it!”

3 Likes

Most of the facts are against the A380 at the moment but i think it can be usefull in aviation sooner than you might want to see. When you take a look to german aviation, we lose Airlines every year that will be replace by easyjet, ryanair or an member of the Lufthansa Group. Next there are a lot of voices that tell everyone that ryanair is in trouble and that means in germany that they have some years before they quit. We just have to much airlines and in the future it might look like the same, but if that changes in Europe, the A380 could get used for a long time.

A lot of airlines make point to point possible but the Hub system might be come back in some regions soon

If you’re implying that the A380 will replace Ryan Air, I wouldn’t put any wagers on that, especially Ryan Air, they’re pretty entrenched, and have an established costumer base, and a sales method that’s proven. It will take a lot to topple them, and eaven then I can almost garintee, we will just see lost of new start ups, not an A380 based domestic airline situation in Europe…

I dont mean that A380 will replace ryanair, at the end ryanair is even a reason why the A380 didnt got succesful, but i think that some bigger airlines leave the market soon and make place for A380 routes and a small hub system. Low cost point to point works good, but not good enough and at the end everyone needs money and witout money we have the situation like Germania and Air Berlin. I also hope that ryanair runs out of money in case of higher oil priceses. And after that more passengers fly with airlines who use a hub and possiblly then bigger planes make more money and start to work.

There will never siece to be that bottom layer of the market. Europe has lots of budget carriers, in the US we have the regional airlines, that will always be a layer of the cake so to speak, leaving the big boys to fly the big planes on the big routes, and it’s going to take a lot more that Ryan Air’s failure to stop that…