A380 excessive pitch down

Hello Aviators…
I’ve been flying an A380 since a while. It’s very stable and smooth aircraft to fly. However; i’ve noticed an excessive pitch down during descent although my rate was within limits (never exceeded 2500 ft/min) and the aircraft was trimmed properly… Any hints how to overcome this attitude?

2 Likes

I believe it’s because of the old model, same with the 757 cruising with them and there’s a downward pitch, it’s nothing to worry about if you want less of a pitch do a shallower decent:)

3 Likes

What was your descent rate because I few days back I flew with It and it was fine

1 Like

Are you sure your trim level is correct? It seems like it’s the trim is going crazy. But what I’ve noticed with A380’s is that the first 5 seconds of descending, it will descend way more than what you’ve entered. Then it’ll stabilize. Thanks for bringing it up!

1 Like

Its on the picture, 2600 FPM.

1 Like

Then in that descent rate it’s too big

1 Like

Upon taking those photos; the descent rate was 2500 ft/min… But nothing changes when i reduce the rate up to 1200

1 Like

Still I would say descent at like 1,000FPM

Guys it has nothing to do with trim. The plane will always stabilize regardless. It’s just an old flight model with outdated physics. You just have to have to wait for it to get reworked or the physics reworked or both

4 Likes

The magenta bar isn’t there (this is what i know about how trim should be in IF)

2 Likes

2600 Vs isn’t a big decent rate for the A388. 4600 is but not 2600.

4 Likes

That would take too much time to descent. I followed the SimBrief and IF checklist descent preparation policy. However; nothing changes when i reduce the rate. The only option it gets better is when you start the flaps deployment

not sure if this is a bug or anything but youre going at 450 knots so the FPV is going to be pushing you upwards making the pitch go down further

1 Like

That’s what I believe 🙄

I did reduce my rate with speed reduction but nothing improved

can I get your airspeed after the reduction of speed? I find that 250-270 works fine for me at -1500 vs

Yes my rate was around this value but nothing improved in term of pitch attitude

1 Like

Yes the speed is most likely the problem. 460 kts at 24,000 ft is way too fast. I’d say you should be at 260-280 kts and -1,800 VS. Try slowing down and see if that helps.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced this too, also on the A340 and the Dash-8 Q400

1 Like

The reason the speed is displayed like that is because under the Live Replays, the ground speed is displayed in the HUD where the airspeed would usually be (you can see the two GS numbers match). He is at M0.80 which is reasonable for a cruise speed.

For descending, however, you (OP) might want to consider slowing down. Being real fast will make you pitch down in order to lose the necessary altitude.

2 Likes