A380 and diversions...

Ive search online about this situation multiple times yet i wont find an answer.So, soon All Nippon Airways is going to begin flying to Honolulu international with a Airbus A380.if there was ever the need to divert where would it go? KOA and OGG cant take a 380.Those are the 2 largest airports other than HNL.i doubt the crew would pack for Fuel to LAX because thats like 5 hours of extra fuel.Thanks in advance

3 Likes

I’m sure ANA would have planned this extensivly behind the scenes. It might not be public information yet

2 Likes

Australia xD Might be a deture… but an A380 nearly out of fuel could technically land on a smaller runway, just not be able to be serviced.
But then the aircraft is stuck… 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷🏼‍♂️

If it was a true emergency, like Life Threating, they could land at OGG or KOG and then dump out anything that can weight the plane down, and then fly the short distance with minimum fuel to HNL

1 Like

Technically yes a A380 can land at OGG (PHOG) because Runway 20/2 is 6,995feet and the A380 only needs 5,900 Feet to Land. Although it would not be able to takeoff due to it needing almost 10,000 ft to takeoff. But they could always empty the plane and see what happens

2 Likes

There’s other larger airports in the oceanic stuff that dispatchers plan for

2 Likes

An A380 anywhere close to empty will not need 10,000ft to get in the air.

2 Likes

There was an American 787 that had engine problems over the Pacific and ended up diverting to Alaska (which was its planned diversion place)

2 Likes

Funny you bring that up, my FB memories reminded me of that they landed in Cold Bay, the jet triple the size of the town

4 Likes

This video was pretty interesting in explaining that incident. AAL had a whole emergency Plan pre-made before that flight was even thought of 😂

3 Likes

It might be like the scenario for LATAM from Santiago to Easter Island where they have to fly to Easter Island with all the fuel to fly back because there is no suitable diversion airport in between.

I know this is a little off topic but does anyone know the exact date ANA will start flying the a380?

A simple google brought me this

1 Like

Who says that an A380 cannot use PHKO? The runway is plenty long (11,000 feet) and an A380 could use the ramp there.

1 Like

The only issue with an A380 diversion is the support it needs. It’s a massive airliner, a tall one, and a long one. Most airports can’t or barely can hold it. Also, another issue is getting the passingers off, most airports don’t have Jetways or Airstairs for the Jumbo.

1 Like

I mean if we are specifically about Hawaii here, I would assume that it isn’t much different planning wise than 777, 747, and other heavies that already fly there…

They’re two completely different beast

1 Like

I mean yes, the A380 is very different that a 777, but I would imagine that if an airport has a long runway for heavies, then the A380 can fit most of them. Since most heavies require in the ball park of 6k, which is about whare the 380 is…

2 Likes

Korean Air flies a 747-8 to HNL and that plane has it’s own airport restrictions. While it isn’t as tall nor does it have the wingspan of the A380, it is much longer than it (and than any other aircraft). With that in mind, I’m sure the A380 has at least one viable option

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.