A350 sways side to side

Device:
Operating system:
I have done a few flights on the a350 recently. And I’ve noticed that when you rotate and pitch up it rocks side to side. I was practicing on solo with no wind.

4 Likes

This will happen when you takeoff too slow for your weight and flaps settings.

2 Likes

Yes I was 97% load
Flap 2
95% trust
Rotate 150kts

2 Likes

Yeah 150kts rotation is too slow for basically max load.

At max load on the A350 - rotation should be around 170kts.

4 Likes

On my next flight I will give it a go rotation at 170kts
I was just going of this

1 Like

If you rotate at 150 you will likely not be off the ground until 170 since the A350 has a lot of power but Benny is right, better to delay rotation to at least 160-170 if you have enough runway.

3 Likes

I don’t think that table was envisioning 97% load. More like 85%.

When I fly the A359, I generally rotate at around 165 knot-ish. At a high load factor (common on the long haul flights the A359 does), it does take a bit to actually leave the runway.

Ohh my bad wrong one lol
Here we go

1 Like

I don’t use that topic often. The numbers are always kinda weird…

1 Like

I will mention that this happens even when the conditions above aren’t really meant. I’ve flown the A350 on plenty of routes, short to long, and in most cases this happens when I engage the autopilot. I calculate my speeds pretty diligently; the aircraft is usually climbing at a decent rate and gaining speed, but even with flaps down the plane rocks from side to side until I am well over 200kts.

I understand planes get unstable approaching an aerodynamic stall, but not once was I anywhere near one. I had more speed and more acceleration than after my initial rotation, during which the aircraft was perfectly flyable, and it still happens.

1 Like

I don’t fly the A350 that much, but have also noticed the oscillations, particularly at slow speeds. I mitigate this by hand flying all the way up to 10,000ft. Making turns with the autopilot right after departure usually creates the “swaying” others are talking about. But hand flying all the way up to 10,000 and reaching your climb/cruise speed I’ve found has made the 350 a nice bird to fly. Just have to be aware of the aircraft specific quirks👍🏻

2 Likes

Yeah I manually fly the departure’s and sometimes the approach the only time I engage autopilot after takeoff is if iis really busy with Ifatc present but if not I sometimes fly to cruise with out auto pilot

You need to speed up

Can you give me the link ?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I used to experience this when my A350 was really heavy but climbing at a pretty fast rate.

Here u go

1 Like

Thanks…Bro

1 Like

Yep all good currently flying from Munich to Tokyo haneda, when I took off I rotated at 170 and the aircraft didn’t sway side to side,

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.