A350 stalls when it gets to cruising altitude

Whenever I fly the A350, the plane will ascend fine but when it gets to cruising altitude, it will start losing speed to the point where it stalls. I usually set my speed to Mach 0.86 on autopilot. Can someone help me find a solution to this issue?

What load and what altitude are you going to?

A heavy bird like the A350 normally starts at 29000-33000 feet before gradually climbing to up to 40000-45000 throughout the flight.

Adding on to @Kevin_Potthast’s comment:

This is a very useful tool, especially for long hauls. Take a look at this step climbing guide to ensure you don’t have this issue again:

As said before, step climbing will probably solve this issue.

I usually start at FL340 and then after I’ve burnt enough fuel climb higher and end at around FL410.

If you still experience the issue, it could be a problem with your vertical speed. If you climb too fast you can loose speed.

The other on this thread has already mentioned about Step Climb and linked toa handy Tutorial as well, so I won’t repeat what they has said. But what I will say though is, that if your plane isn’t too heavy, let’s the load the factor is below 80%, or under 85% even, then you can easily fly up to 35000-37000 feet, no problem.

If you keep your climb rate (V/S) low a around 600fpm to 1200fpm as you get higher, then you can fly all the way up to 35000 feet quite easily. Now much of this of course depends on the weight of your flight, how much fuel, passengers and cargo you are carrying but, I’ve personally many times in the past, even a few days ago, flown 70-80& loaded, 16 hours long A350 flights and climbed up to 35000 feet. As of this reply being written, I’m flying Cathay 338 from Brussels to HKG, a 10hr 30min flight, and climbing up to FL370 right away since it isn’t a necessarily heavy flight and I don’t climb with +2000 V/S when climbing either.

Your best bet would be to start of at maximum of 35000 feet when flying long hauls that are heavy. If you happen to have very little amount of passengers and cargo, and fuel for 12hrs or so, maybe a litte more, than you can fly up to 37000 feet, but remember to keep your VS low when climbing past 30000 feet or so, that way it is possible to ge to a higher altitude, but if you do fly to high, then you’ll stall anyways.

1 Like

I go to about 200K-220K lbs of fuel which would give me enough fuel to fly for about 17 hours and I maintain altitude at around FL360 which is where the plane will start to lose speed and stall.

Your too high. FL290-330 are typical starting altitudes for a heavy load like you got. Even 330 might be too high. 360 like in your situation is way too high.

When you go up to cruise for a long flight, make sure you start off low and slowly build up altitude throughout the flight.

1 Like

Just for information, FL430 is the service ceiling for the A350.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.