A350 fell out of the sky causing 5 violations

Good day all,
Last night I was operating a flight from EDDM over to KIAD in the A350 callsign Lufthansa 414 Heavy
Display name Captain Todman
I had a good climb out first level off was at 32000 but I continued to climb to 40000 with a vs of 1000 going Mach.87 after leveling everything seemed ok besides some slight turbulence. I briefly stepped away to handle a personal matter and came back to see my flight had crashed. After watching the replay I observed the a/c stalled while it was level some how airspeed didn’t seem to change but the plane automatically went into a bank and started to rapidly decent. This resulted in 5 violations that dropped my grade level. Can anything be done please help… screenshoots below.

It looks like you didn’t stepclimb, meaning you were too heavy for your height, causing you to stall

Have a look here to prevent this from happening again as FL400 is very high for a heavy A350

8 Likes

I stalled as well trying to climb up to 41,000 feet. Luckily, I saved the plane from entering a nosedive in time. I was too heavy and my engines didn’t have enough power to keep the plane’s speed up past 38,000.

Too high and too heavy. Pilot error. Mostly likely those violations will stand. But contact a moderator.

1 Like

@Captain_Todman. MaxSez: “Stepped Away” is the operative term. Classic “Pilot Error”. The reliability of the IF Auto Pilot has always been questionable when the Flight Profile (Speed/Alt Tape) are not monitored continually, we call it “Instrument Scan”).
MaxSez

3 Likes

Lesson here don’t leave your plane unattended till you have reached cruise and been there for at least 5 minutes to verify your plane is not losing airspeed and N1 is not maxed out.

1 Like

He already had reached cruise, it’s just that he didn’t stepclimb causing him to be too heavy

Also isn’t M.87 a little fast?

3 Likes

Failure to step climb is often the problem here. If you’re able to share a link to your replay then we should be able to tell for sure.

We already can tell. By looking at those pictures we can see he is at FL400, his IAS is quiet low and his angle of attack is very high. Planes don’t stall for no reason

1 Like

Bro use SimBrief for flight planning. 40,000 WAY too high for your TO weight, and m87 is WAY to fast (even for the a350). Absolute max cruising speed is m.86, but recommended cruising speed is m84-85, usually m.85

I had the same thing. Think I stepped climbed too high but still

This is pilot error. Take care of that precious aircraft and be sure to follow appropriate climb profiles!

www.fpltoif.com is a good flight planning website.

Before jumping to conclusions here, can you share some pictures of your climb out and the moments before the aircraft started to bank away, or even upload your replay please?

He initially reach a cruise altittude of 32000 but he continued to climb to a different cruise level.

The Airbus A350-900XWB has a optimal crusing speed of Mach 0.85 which is the speed the A359 will fly the vast majority of the time and is the cruise speed it usually flies at during normal conditions.

The Maximum Speed is Mach 0.89 and if someone flies 0.86, 0.87 it isn’t necessary considered too fast. If you were to fly the maximum speed of 0.89 for a long period of time, then that may IRL make the engines wear out faster and possibly cause minor structural damage or stress to the fuselage.

Of a flight is delayed, operated by the A359, it may cruise up to 0.87 to catch up on some lost time. I’ve been on multiple flights in real life where pilots of various airplane models have done this. Not regular thing to do but occasionally if time is possible to gain back due to delayed departure or other factors such very strong headwind, then flying somewhat faster can reduce the risk of late arrival or stall, and etc…

Additionally to the OP, @Captain_Todman, you mentioned that you leveled off at 32000ft and then proceed med on to 40000ft. The question is; For how long did you stay at 32000ft and what percentage was your overall load factor at, if you can remember it?
—————————————————————————————————————————————
I have myself flown up to FL380 right away with some very heavy A359 flights, even with other heavy commercial airplanes as well, such as the A380. In IF terms, you can do the impossible to a certain extent.

1 Like

well, the time between your takeoff and the first stall warning was around 30mins according to your screenshot. Most likely you were too heavy for such a Cruise Altitude. I’m not sure why you proceedet to climb to FL400 after leveli g at FL320… for such a long flight FL400 is defenitely too high. I don’t think those Violations will be reversed as its an obvious Pilot Error. I’m really sorry for that but learn from mistakes.
I usually do Stepclimbs during the Flight, but when I cant do them I usually fly FL340-FL370 depending on the Flighttime.

Just adding onto what people have said, step climbs are done over the whole flight not just in the climb phase so you don’t le el off then continue after. You leave at a lower until later in the flight then climb again, then again later you climb again etc… Hope this helps for further flights also check out www.fpltoif.com as this states when to step climb to which altitude at certain way points along the flight plan

No need to keep answering guys. @TimShan05 did an excellent job of explaining it concisely, basically covering all points the author wanted to know…

1 Like

I’ve also tried step climbing but even that has been unsuccessful as I can’t get past 34,000ft without having issues. I feel like I can’t do long haul flights because when I take weight off, I usually don’t have enough fuel to make it to my destination.