A330 landing flap config

See in the super helpful performance guide that regardless of weight should landing be with flaps full. When watching videos on YT it appears many A330 operators use flaps 3?? Anyone shed light on whether flaps full is uniform SOP for the A330 or whether some carriers use flaps 3 (just like BA use flaps 25 SOP on the 777-200ER)?

1 Like

Here is it.
If you scroll down you can find the amount of flaps you need

@CaptainAli_yt yeah that’s the guide I was referring to but asking whether flaps full is standard in real life (like to be as realistic as possible)

1 Like

Oh I think it depends on the procedure so based on your load you have so if you heavy the airline might use more flaps depends on what they think will be useful to use. Mostly, the heavier the more flaps

That’s what I thought yet even light load the guide says flaps full

1 Like

Probably the A333 being different then usual Ig you should probably PM the Creator of the guide if u want so you can understand more because he probably knows more then me

It doesn’t

Seems to show the procedure for it irl so Im guessing it should help

Flap 3 landing is used in turbulent condition (windshear) or as fuel saving policy where rwy length/temperature/altitude is not a limiting factor. Full remains the normal conf for landing.

2 Likes

I think you mean flaps, not faps.

That could be interpreted as an inappropriate term lol.

4 Likes

Oops lol let me fix that lol

1 Like

It might look like Flap 3 in real life as compared to IF because full flaps on the A330 in IF deflect downwards more than what they do irl. A modelling issue, I suspect it won’t be fixed for a good amount of time but I think we can still bring it to the attention of the devs.

3 Likes

Yeah - full flaps on the A330 in IF almost looks like full flaps A320 in real life/IF

@Tep_NEMO is correct, the Airbus has the option to perform a CONF 3 landing and is indeed used for the reasons he explained (used in abnormal procedures as well). It’s not as common, however, and requires some tweaking in the MCDU as well as pressing “LDG FLAP 3” button on the overhead panel to silence the GPWS warnings which would normally sound as the computer would think you’re not in the proper configuration for landing (on the 320, I’m assuming it’s similar on the A330 except that the overhead switch is renamed to FLAP MODE instead of LDG FLAP 3).

A Flap 3 landing also gives you a higher Vapp, so you’ll need to take that into account in your performance calculations (in simple terms you wouldn’t use a Flap 3 landing if the runway length is limited).

I don’t have the SOPs at hand, but it’s a totally ‘okay’ procedure to do (although not very common). Some airlines may require a Flap 3 landing for fuel savings, some would say to use it only during abnormal operations - it really depends on the operator.

For some extra context, to active a Flap 3 landing config, you’d have to select CONF 3* to replace FULL. See below (ignore the red rectangles).

And here’s the overhead panel switch:

2 Likes

I am aware of that. But I have also poured over hundreds of A330 landing videos, and have yet to see the flaps extended like they are in IF. Attatched this photo taken by a fellow community user (I don’t yet have the update).

Compare it to any real-word photo, the difference is noticeable

Amazing - thanks! Nearly at the end of EI105 from EIDW-KJFK. Landing 22L and will be 20% load by time of landing so will not be limited (length or current weather). May try flaps 3!

1 Like

Not a problem! It’s great that we’re in a simulator and have the luxury to try these things which you wouldn’t necessarily be able to IRL. Give it a go! But do expect a higher pitch attitude and a higher energy aircraft, so flare a little earlier to compensate for that. Have a good one! :)

1 Like

Yeah that’s the thing with flaps 3, need higher pitch! My cousin’s bf flies for EasyJet (A319 & 320 - but same principle) and he prefers flaps full because flaps 3 requires higher pitch and can be quite hard to nail…

1 Like

Thanks for this. On a side note, I tried once in IF at 143kt for 180 tons. It worked ok, but just as in RL, CONF 3 landing comes with more nose up attitude, which does not help the view from the cockpit!

1 Like

Flaps 3 as @OW_Q400 said requires higher pitch and more thrust which becomes increasingly noticeable the heavier you are or the more headwind you have. The reason the pitch is so high is because the surface area of the wing is smaller with Flaps 3 as to Flaps 4 (full), so less lift is created and the plane is pitching to maintain that lift, but be careful because the more you pitch the more airspeed you bleed off.

Really what flaps do on landing is allow you to maintain the same amount of lift at lower speeds, so the heavier you are the more flaps you will need for takeoff and landing assuming we are omitting outside influences such as weather, runway conditions, airline SOP’s and more.

And this is why on all aircraft especially noticeable on lighter aircraft you might fly for leisure or privately like Cessnas when you lower flaps the plane pitches up, because the wings are now generating more lift, and you have to trim for that difference.

Flaps also allow you to slow down too, so flaps are versatile and very very important.

Anyways back to the beautiful A330 discussion!