A330 cruise speed

Hey,

I’m having a problem with figuring out what speed I should be flying on the A330-300. I’m flying at 38000ft and I tried speeds from mach 0.84 - 0.78. I had this problem before with the B777 that it keeps the throttle at around 90% and burns too much fuel.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Pretty sure cruise is 0.83

5 Likes

Also load like 30 more min of fuel not 100%

1 Like

It’s M.82 usually.

8 Likes

You May want to consider step climbing when doing long haul flights. The engines will work too hard if you’re too high and too heavy. Maybe start out at 340000 then climb to 36000 and then climb to 38000.

3 Likes

I’m trying mach 0.83 now. But it still burns too much fuel and says it’s enough fuel for 6,5 hours. My flight is 7,5 hours and I loaded in 8:09 hours of fuel.

1 Like

0.80 - 0.82 are normal.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good idea. But I’m already on cruise. Do I need to decend then?

1 Like

Check out this tutorial by DeerC:

2 Likes

If you think you need to, sure. For future reference, you can check out fpltoif.com which will give you cruise altitudes, fuel loads and speeds based on your aircraft.

1 Like

You’ll be fine

1 Like

Hardly any flight cruises at FL380 immediately after takeoff on an 8-hour flight. Do step climbing. You’ll save a lot of fuel this way.

As for the A333, I think the cruise is around M0.83. The tutorial recommended by @Andre_S should help. I’ve only flown the A333 once so I really don’t have much experience on it.

As for the 777, it is the same idea. Do step climbing. If not you’ll burn a lot of fuel. Ideal cruising speed is M0.84, but a range of M0.81-M0.87 will do, Max M0.89 (if the A/C is really overweight and you need to burn fuel quickly). To give you a rough estimation of the stability, the 777 naturally noses up around 2.5 degrees above the horizon. If it is <2.5degrees, you are fine, but you are flying a little too fast. If the nose rises >2.5 degrees then monitor the flight because it suggests that the autopilot is struggling with trying to gain lift. It can result in a crash if uncontrolled and/or not monitored.

Hope it helps

5 Likes

Thanks! It helped a bit, but I’ll be fine!

2 Likes

0.82 for regular speed, 0.86 for max speed.

I believe this also depends on the cost index, but I am not sure.

4 Likes

Yeah, but we don’t need to worry much about cost index in IF 🙂
Irl the FMS calculate speeds/flight profile when you type in the cost index.

2 Likes

Good day all…

The A330 in IF is nowhere near the physics of the real world aircraft. To be honest the ceiling of the IF A330 feels to be around FL380 when light. Cruising speed is M0.82 on longhaul and M0.83 on short/medium haul flights. The average cruise level of the A330 is around FL310/320 when heavy, FL330/340/350 when normal and FL360/370/380 when light.

These are what I found to be “comfortable” for the aircraft. I’ve flown it more than any other aircraft since I’ve been active on IF. I hope this helps.
Springbok777 😉

2 Likes

I usually fly slow at Mach 0.81. For some reason the engines on IF have nowhere near the actual power of real life A330’s. I have also accidentally stalled my aircraft above 39,000 feet with a climb rate of 100fpm so that just gives you an idea of the limitations of this aircraft. I would say the highest ceiling would be FL380 but make sure you climb at the lowest rate and never let your engines go above 98% power or you’ll end up stalling.

4 Likes

If you feel it burns too much fuel, try to step climb. Do not climb to FL380 at the start of your flight.

1 Like

Yeah anything above FL380 and the engines are at 100 guarantee

1 Like

Oops, yeah, sorry forgot that IF does not have FMCs yet, I have not used IF in a long while and have been using XPlane