A321 Issues

So I was about to land at Oslo Gardermoen in a Thomas Cook A321, callsign Viking 199 of July 2019
when I took the speed down to 160 and set full flaps the nose just rocketed In the air. Like I set the speed down out with the flaps and then when I took manual control the nose just pitched up and I stalled. I tried to increase the speed and take away flaps, didn’t work. Even calibrating didn’t work.

I have a replay if anyone would like to see, thanks!

1 Like

Hey i think your issue is here:

You usually use flaps 1 or 2…

1 Like

Does this mean you set the speed to 160, or it was actually 160?

Either way, still probably too fast for full flaps.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t use full flaps until I’m at least 140KIAS. Doing so when you are too fast causes an upward pitch as they increase lift

6 Likes

Could you share the replay?

1 Like

Flaps 2 180 kts catching ILS with auto approach
Stable
Calibrate your phone
FLIGHT SPOILER 180 kts > 140 kts SPOILERS armed
GEAR DOWN
135 kts flaps 3 trim 5%
125 kts flaps full trim 20%
Increase trim to compensate sinking when flaps expanding
200 ft autopilot off
Adjust rudder to align
100, 50, 40
Power 0%
Rear gear touch, spoilers expand
Front gear touches, rudder off, reverse to 80 kts then rudder off brake on

Flaps 2 before ILS, A/F off at 200 ft, reverse to 80 kts then brake: from real world

1 Like

The problem you have is that you lose 40kts IAS without having an in-between flap…

So, you go from 180kts on flap 2 to 140kts ALSO on flap 2.

It’s obvious the aircraft’s nose is going to pitch up because it needs to generate more lift to keep flying at that speed.

I suggest something like this, which is what I used on my previous flight:

185kts - Flap 1

167kts - Flap 2

153kts - Flap 3

142kts - Flap FULL

That being said, this all depends on the weight of the aircraft. If a replay and the weight and balance is shown I can dive a bit deeper.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.