A320 Nose Oscillation

When on my finals and reducing speed from 160 to 140 kts at 2500 ft, moving from flaps 3 to flaps full, I notice that in between the flap movement, the nose pitches up sharply to 8 degrees, and then comes down to stabilize at a normal 3 degree. It ends up looking totally awkward. Attached the pic below. Please help!!image

4 Likes

I find it normal in IF context… Whenever I increase the flaps, yea, the airflow pushes the plane up but then the AP will end up correcting it by reducing speed and all accordingly

2 Likes

The same thing happens to me in the A321

1 Like

Maybe the A320 family is all like that?

Captain777, Boeing777x, what’s next? @Mr_Jetstar? xD

1 Like

Thinking that when I reduce speed from 160 to 140 via the autothrust, the speed actually goes way below 140 (130 as seen in the pic), which is too slow and pushes the nose up, gradually the authothrust matches the speed to 140 which pushes the nose down to the optimal angle.

Hope I have not answered myself here!

1 Like

Not sure if you did but sounds like you did?

1 Like

Your airspeed is rather low so to compensate it you have to pitch up more to maintain altitude

2 Likes

Pitching up happens when thrust is gained suddenly offcourse due to some factors like low speed heavy weight…on live change in weather(wind)…the AP is just trying to bring things back to Normal before the changes…for the flaps Yes there’s a pitch change but it’s minimal couldn’t have caused that much change!i doubt it!but in your case…when you use AP to reduce throttle… There’s a rapid decrease in IAS and to compensate it from not going lower than 140…of which in most cases does"It throttes up suddenly… Especially if you were maintaining altitude…so +combined effort of flaps being deployed"some drag introduced" resulted to that!hope this helps✌

1 Like

Your speed is not correct to extend your flaps. Try to research correct Vfe for your aircraft and weight.

2 Likes

Lower flaps while approaching desired flap speed on finals to avoid this. Realisticly this would feel like the plane is falling out of the sky and would induce panic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.