A320 family cockpit camera angle fixes

I’ve seen this topic a few times about camera angles and all that, and it all comes back to the devs and mods saying that it won’t happen. They more or less won’t change angles because of the effort they have gone through to bring live instrument feature into the sim. That would mean taking a step back instead of a step foward. The reality is that you are gonna have to either manually adjust the camera angle to a suitable angle or just use the first camera view.

I have not had this issue. That issue might have to do with speed or winds, and maybe even a combination of speed and the pitch of your yoke when you set your altitude. Fly with it for a while in solo I think it can be figured out.

The request of keeping an extra camera option, the “old” camera option isn’t a major request though. Of course I also feel like eventually I’ll move away from using the HUD in the cockpit, just a matter of practice and familiarity. But most modern planes do have a HUD so why not have it set up properly?

It may not seem major l, but the devs believe it’s just a step back🤷🏾‍♂️.

Where do the devs talk about this camera topic? Was it in a stream or interview?

1 Like

And this way, it’ll force you to practice even more. If we were to have it the old way, the most likely scenario is that you will only using that instead of doing the way that is outside of your comfort zone (as in using the live instruments only).

The HUD is still there, but without the cockpit.
There will always be changes that will force users to step out of the comfort zone and learn a new way of doing things. You’ll notice this with the new UX that we’ve talked about where the buttons are moved around.

If we were to always keep the “old way” around, the app would grow into a monster with several legacy options that really shouldn’t be there.

I think it is the mastery, subsequent boredom with “the old way”, and desire for more realism that will lead to the decision to practice flying with the new angles. Thought it would be good for the decision to eventually adjust be a decision of the user.

In my case, when I first started flying, I was flying with the HUD only, no cockpit. I then slowly moved into the cockpit, and that became home. I already have plenty of flying hours so eventually I’d want the challenge of being able to use the live instruments when I fly. This has been my experience, but alas I can only speak for myself here. Kind of like riding a bike with training wheels until you’re confident enough to ride the bike without them. But those are my two cents here.

1 Like

Good point! I totally agree

1 Like

I always use zoom to see the instruments properly. It will pay off to learn to land manually with instruments only to minimums. If we get clouds in the future the HUD/FPV will be useless anyway if I understood correctly.

1 Like

There are two ways I fly.

1. I zoom in and have the runway slightly in view and have all my primarys in the main view.

2. I fly how the camera is in default but I use the bar below to show the necessary information. Like I display the airspeed, vs, and alt. These are sufficient to performing a quality landing.

But then alternatively you can use the first camera view.

I’ve definitely started practicing landing them, it hasn’t been straightforward staying on glideslope and the localizer but I’ll get the hang of it all with practice. Just wishing the change wasn’t so drastic but we already have the opportunity to learn. Great tips! I’ll be practicing but also hoping devs consider what I’ve had to say lol

I like it! You’ve adjusted well! I’ll get the hang of it eventually I just wish I could learn to maneuver the aircraft at my own pace you know! Btw great pic too.

That’s odd… my A321 cockpit looks like this. I hate this view because I cannot see my instruments

2 Likes

It’s not lol. The FPV might be less useful but the HUD acts as live instruments but easier to see

I actually do have a serious issue with flying without the HUD in general: There is no depth perception in IF so it’s harder to judge direction of movement as compared to IRL, espectially vertically. Even without FPV I can use the VS to get approx 3 deg descent and use the glideslope to adjust, but on live instruments the VS is unreadable (too small), so I have to use the bottom bar.

1 Like

If I climb to cruise at around 500 fpm, the AP will start oscillating between ±100. This is normal on most planes because then it stabalizes. On the A321 it increased to over ±400 in a few minutes.

That is true. I can fly just fine with the live instruments on iPad. No change to do that on my phone. Everything is just too small to see. Supporting all different form factors is hard. I don’t say anything about the AP. Almost got some violations using it. Basic use in clean configuration is OK.

In my case, this is not simply because I want to revert to the old ways. I have trouble reading the numbers & text on the live instruments on any of the aircraft that have live instruments. I use a 11inch iPad, so in terms of screen size I should be good.

I think for the developers to understand better, we are not asking to go back in time. We are not asking to remove any current views (in this case, the A320 series aircraft). What we are asking for is the addition of the classic virtual cockpit/hud view.

A couple responses to reasons it should be kept the same:

1. You can just readjust the camera view.

• Yes we can. The issue arrises when the cockpit view resets, and the HUD is not level with the horizon. This can happen if I simply touch the screen in a way where I was going to select a option, but instead I moved the camera view off-center. Having to readjust the camera view to be level with the horizon in a critical phase of flight gets very tiresome.

2. We made Live Instruments to be used, not optional.

• This is a viewpoint that I have seen a couple higher-ups mention. And it doesn’t sit well with me. I hope this is not a circumstance where the developer is always right, and us the consumer, is always wrong.
    Understandably, live instruments was a community vote that received tremendous support. There is a certain percentage of us who would have happily kept on playing IF without live instruments. For people who want to fly relying on live instruments, let them do so. As for others who want to fly relying on a correctly positioned HUD (without constantly having to realign), let us do so too.

The change to Live Instruments, while very useful for many, has lead me back to using aircraft without Live Instruments , for the purpose of having the HUD cockpit view that I do not constantly need to realign.

Is it possible to just simply add back a “HUD View” into the cockpit settings? So people who fly with Live Instruments can continue to, while people who want to use the HUD with the cockpit seamlessly can just switch to the HUD view and enjoy.

This feature has lead me to not using any of the Airbuses with Live cockpit. I am not trying to go backwards on new features on Infinite Flight, but would like an old trusty feature brought back. Thanks!

Thank you @Charles_B for Not making this a feature request. This is something that was never going to make the popular vote, but is a request that a minority of us are asking for.

2 Likes

You mean something like this?

2 Likes

for me i always have to manually bring the camera angle down slightly in the captain view and zoom in a bit to see the Instruments properly

in the picture you see its not possible to view the pitch and HDG indicators without moving the camera down slightly

i hope the first officer view was on the captain side instead

1 Like