A220-300 Flight Planner and integrated FCOM

Hi all,

I am pretty sure all of you have noticed that the new A220 has landed some weeks back in IF!

As I like to have essential data computed for me before each and every flight I do in IF, I have devised an integrated F-COM which calculates about everything I could figure out from the data I got and the test flights I have made since 21.8 was released.

Lots of informations have been posted already on the IFC about that (and I am happy to see that these get better and better these days), but I do believe one can go a lttle bit further! And anyway, doing these files is becoming a hobby of mine!

So, that file lets you calculate all you need to safely takeoff from or land on about any runways, with TODA, displaced thresholds, runway width, altitude and slope.

Once you have spawned where you want to fly from and decided which rynway you will use, simply input the following :

• expected flight time (from simbrief/fpltoif or another reliable source);
  • temperature/dew point/wind speed and orientation;
  • Pax number/pax and lugage weight/ cargo;
  • Amount of in/out taxi and reserve fuel time;
  • SID specific climb limitations if any (obstacle on flight path/minimum climb rate in degrees).

The file will then give you a specific and detailed MTOW based on the runway and the data you’ve filled in. You’d better make sure you don’t takeoff heavier than that!

Of course, once ready to roar out of the gate, it will provide you with the accurate speeds you need to know :

• V1/VR/V2 and more;
  • Flaps retraction speeds;
  • green dot speed at any altitude above 10.000ft… (usefull if you lose one engine up there…)
    … and the highest flight level you should aim at at first!

It will also let you know about how much time it should take you to reach your TOC (based on takeof ISA temperature, in a windless world…) and how far you will have traveled by the time you’re done with climbing! But before that, it will give you the power you need to apply, the angle you should aim at during your initial climb, the %N1 you may use to reach cruise level and the %N1 you’ll need to cruise once there.

Now when time to land approaches, simply file your destination data (weather and runway) and your flaps extension speeds and Vapp will be displayed for you, as well as the landing distance required, so you’ll know whether you can safely grease/butter the landing without blowing a tyre (max GS computed for you), burning your brakes and/or overshooting the runway.

Feed back is much appreciated! Any question is also much welcome of course.

For once, I decided to show all the cells and thumbnails. You’ll be able to see what tables the calculated data stems from and how the whole thing is done. Of course, you are most welcome to let me know of all the mistakes you will find! All cells are locked though to avoid erasing formulas by mistake.

All data I used comes from the following file :
“A220-300/CS300/BD500-1A11 Flight Crew Operating Manual Volume 2”, which is readily available for free online, and/or from my numerous test flights.

See you all up there!

Nb 1: the file is big because of the airports’ list (over 39000 runways!)

Nb 2: standard landing configuration is Flap 4. Flap 5 used for very short runways i.e. When ALD is very near LDR. This configuration allows quicker and more efficient braking (more drag).

NB 3: takeoff can be done in Flap 2, 3 or 4 with the A220, However, this file is based on Flap 3, from real values, and sort of tweaked values for Flap 2 or 4 takeoff I then strongly advise to stick to Flap 3 which is safe and fine in 99 9% of all cases.

NB 4: trim values are also given for each speed during climb, cruise, descent, approach and landing, depending on weight. These work a charm for me but it seems that some people have their own way of trimming (!), so… just an indication! Eventhough I am convinced trimming should be done in the same way on any device…

NB 5: happy flying!

11 Likes