A Yellow Sky in the Emerald City to a Sunset on the banks of the Columbia

SEATTLE to PORTLAND

So you may know that for the past month or so I’ve really liked flying into Portland and it has become one of my favorite airports. Yesterday I decided that I would fly Seattle to Portland in the Alaska Dash 8 Q-400 after I landed in Seoul from Toronto (you’ll see that soon). As far as I know this is the shortest route in the US flown by a mainline aircraft as Alaska flies their 738s, 739s and A319s as well as the Dash 8 operated by Horizon. I flew Portland to Seattle and back a little while ago (A Blue Day in Rip City to the an Afternoon in the Emerald City) and I loved the route, I used to fly all around the Seattle area in 2016 when I didn’t have a subscription, so I consider this route a “classic” if that makes sense. I finished my flight to Seoul just before 5PM PST so I had just enough time to fly the short route and land at sunset in Portland. My flight time was only 24 minutes which is kind of funny because you could fly that probably 5 times in the time it takes me to make these topics 😂.

I also rarely fly the Dash-8 so it was a lot of fun, it is very easy to fly (not to land) and is really maneuverable for steep turns. I may even fly it from Montreal to Toronto tonight because of how much fun it is to use.

Flight Details

KSEA-KPDX • SEA-PDX
Seattle to Portland
Horizon 643
Bombardier Dash 8-Q400
24 Minutes
@JulianB

At the gate in the Seattle with the yellow light of the sun setting to our West off the Pacific Coast Lifting out of Seattle as the clock strikes 5 on the West Coast Putting the gear up as we steeply climb to 15,000 feet A full moon above the Cascades as we fly South The stunning whitecap of Mount Rainier in the light of the evening sky After only a couple of minutes at cruise we start descending toward Portland past the 2nd most famous volcano in the United States. Mount Saint Helens. Putting the gear down as we fly toward runway 28R in the Rip City The hills and mountains surrounding Portland as we fly on the banks of the Colombia River On the ground in Portland after fighting 20 knot crosswinds on the way down, and as a wise man once said, my VS on touchdown is none of your business ;)

As always please let me know your thoughts and your favorite photo!

See you guys tomorrow!

30 Likes

Nice pics (as always)👍
I always love the q400, loving that turboprop sound.🛫

1 Like

Impressive like always, I did this route as Leg 4 of my 50 state challenge.

1 Like

These are the best pictures I’ve seen in a long time. Awesome job!!

1 Like

Oh wow, awesome! Those photos of Mt. Rainer are just incredible!

1 Like

Im officially naming you:
CEO of golden hour shots

These are amazing!

1 Like

Nice, using some not as used aircraft! I love the 1st two with the mountains, the ones on final are good too!

1 Like

You can see the work in the pictures though, which is really great!

This picture is just stunning with the snow-capped mountain(s), the lovely Dash 8 and the great light!

I really like the 3 pictures of the landing sequence too (don’t want to quote them all), and the whole topic is once again very well done as well.
As always: Thanks for sharing! ;)

1 Like

Awesome man love it. Your an inspiration

1 Like

Thanks (as always 😉)

I also love that turboprop sound because of how different it is from every other plane in the game

1 Like

It’s a really fun route isn’t it

1 Like

Thanks a lot :)!

And read the description of the last photo 😉

Seattle’s scenery is incomparably awesome to anywhere else in the US

1 Like

Thanks , that means a lot to be the CEO of Golden Hour 😂

I’ll wear my gold start with honor ⭐️

Thanks a lot! @Mr-plane-guy1

1 Like

Thanks, I’m happy that you like all of the pictures 🙂

As I always say Scenery + Sunsets = Awesome

1 Like

Wow that really means a lot, thanks you so much, I really appreciate it Kevin!

1 Like

Ofcourse man lol. These photos are great the whole reason I started to do my own set :)

1 Like

Lol, thanks. My landings are normally super buttery 🧈

I guess that time was just… off, you know?

1 Like

Haha mine are usually not terrible but this was an exception to say the least

1 Like