A Sunrise on the Big Island to a Blue Afternoon in Cactus Country

Kona to Phoenix
On Sunday, when the Hawaiian airports were featured, I only had one choice, to fly out of Kona because if you’ve been seeing my posts for the past few months, you know that I fly in and out of Kona more than any other airport in Hawaii. I flew a very fun route from Kona to Phoenix, in real life American uses their A321 NEO as the flight time from PHX-KOA takes almost 7 hours on some occasions. I left Kona at sunrise just after 7 AM HST and landed in Phoenix just after 3 PM. I flew as AAVA 643 for @AmericanVirtual. With the help of favorable winds, my flight time was 5 hours exactly.

When I flew Phoenix to Kona: From the Sands of the Sonoran to the Beaches of The Big Island

Flight Details

PHKO-KPHX • KOA-PHX
Kona to Phoenix
American / AAVA 643
Airbus A321
5:00
@JulianB

Taxiing to Runway 17 as an inter-Island Dash-8 lifts off for Maui After @DeerCrusher clears us for takeoff we rotate as the sun glows against the fuselage and the volcano of Hualalai Putting the gear up as we prepare for our North East turn toward the U.S. Mainland and Phoenix Climbing Over the Kohala Coast where most of the resorts on the Big Island are located After 4 hours over the biggest ocean on the planet we cross the U.S West Coast just south of Los Angeles Cruising at a low 30,000 feet as we over fly the Californian City of Palm Springs Descending toward Phoenix just after crossing the deserts of the California-Arizona border Putting the gear down through the ever-present blue sky of the desert over Tempe On final approach as the clock hits 3 in the afternoon Touching down in Cactus country 🌵!

If you have any ideas for a scenic, short route, please let me know because I really need one for tomorrow

And as always please let me know your thoughts and your favorite photo!

If you want a pretty cool wallpaper

31 Likes

Those are beautiful! A route I would suggest that I have done before is CYVR-KLAS. The views of the rocky terrain and desert are worth seeing.

2 Likes

Great shots! I just landed at Sky-Harbor!

1 Like

American A321, Hawaii and the amazing scenery of California/Arizona, another great topic!

Two favourites today as the A321 simply looks great from the angle you choose! Very well done once again!

1 Like

These are great! Nicely done 😎

5 Likes

Those first two pictures are quite something!

1 Like

Good one! Flying over Seattle and Vancouver never disappoint

2 Likes

Thanks! Where’d you fly in from?

I’m happy you like the Palm Springs one because I only added it after I made the topic and realized I only had 9 photos :)

1 Like

Thanks! And thanks for the ATC 😀

Hawaiian Sunrises are always awesome aren’t they!

1 Like

That’s a great coincidence!

1 Like

Third pic tho 🤩

1 Like

Los Angeles!

1 Like

Nice! I love the one with the SWA in the background (as well as the mountains) and the one in the cockpit. As always amazing photos and nice light!

1 Like

Yes, yes, yes these are amazing!

1 Like

That one is by far my favorite photo too!

1 Like

Thanks! There’s a reason 50% of my posts are from Hawaii 😂

1 Like

Thank, thanks, thanks, I’m happy they look good :)

1 Like

I’ve flown that route before! Awesome deserts the whole way

1 Like