A standard rate turn is

Defined as a 3° per second turn, which completes a 360° turn in 2 minutes. This is known as a 2-minute turn. Fast airplanes, or aircraft on certain precision approaches, use a half standard rate (“rate half” in some countries) but the definition of standard rate does not change.

This is just something to consider when flying in the pattern. When our rate of bank is so great that we endup on the inside of another a/c already in the pattern or on a downwind we effectively make ATC’s job that much harder.

Additionally, it provides you with enough distance from the runway to make a comfortable approach.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I don’t disagree with you @Rotate, Since there is no bank angle indicator it is hard to determine your exact bank angle but I bank my airplane as such that the hdg indicator is as close to indicating that I am turning at a 3° per second not 10° as I can possible get…

@divebuddha, I just did a test in a 380, At 200knts flying at 2000ft if I set my AP into a 180° turn then a 360° turn and timed it it took exactly 2mins 30sec and I could have easily banked a bit steeper to accomplish a standard 2 minute turn safely

I hear you, Thats an amazing guide that you’ve put together. And apparently I just learned something there myself. I’am clearly learning something new everyday myself, But…

It’s all to often I see pilots ripping into their downwind at a ridiculous bank angle and get inside of a/c already on downwind and even realizing what I just learned…If we could get pilots thinking about that by turning at a standard 3° per second or it’s correlated bank angle (I don’t expect anybody to rattle off and compute that equation while flying) then that would be my goal here…