A Spotting Week in Times of COVID-19 | Munich, June 1 & 3, 2020

Hey there,

it’s spotting topic time once again. While COVID-19 stopped almost all regular flights, it also brings specials to Munich. This makes spotting more interesting, but at the same time requires more effort since you get less planes with more trips to the airport. This week, several specials arrived once again but since the overall number of movements is very low, I combined the pics from Monday and Wednesday in this topic.

So let’s start with Monday. Being a public holiday I would usually stay in bed longer than usual. Not this week since the first special of the week was scheduled for an arrival at 6.20 am. After getting up at 5.15 for that reason, I arrived right in time for the second of two Ural Airlines A321 bringing cargo from Ekaterinburg.

Only a few minutes later, the special arrived from Kiew in beautiful light. There only was one small issue: While Munich was using runway 08L for all flights, the 737 I was aiming for got a visual approach for runway 26R resulting in me missing the landing. Since no more interesting landings were scheduled for the next hour, I changed my spot to be in place for the departure of my special target. On the way to the spot, I came across this view of Munich’s radar tower in the middle of some early morning fog patches. Since no movements were happening anyway, I quickly stopped and took a pic.

At the runway, only very few Lufthansa movements were happening. One of them was a ferry flight of a (so-far) Munich based A320neo to Frankfurt.

With time slowly passing, we were all waiting for the departure of the 737 we wanted to see. Initially, that was scheduled for 7.25am. This would have allowed for a nice lighting from the north before sun would move to the south of the runway at 8am. But well, it wouldn’t be spotting a special if things worked well. At 8 am, the plane still hadn’t moved so I had to choose between taking a backlit-ish pic or changing my spot, potentially missing the departure. I eventually went for the second option and drove to the terminal area to have the sun behind me again. It still took another 20 minutes until the special eventually taxied past me: The Shakhtar Donetsk livery on SkyUp’s 737-700.

After the takeoff roll, I left the airport again to get some breakfast at home.

Two days later, I returned to some more spotting. After initially not expecting to be able to go due to work, some schedule changes happened so I went for the specials in my lunch break. Right after my arrival, a heavy cargo flight arrived from London. While we usually only get planes of the A320 family, but what’s usual nowadays anyway?

One of the few regular passenger flights arrived from Doha. In addition to the cargo flights we see using 777s and A350-1000s, Qatar Airways also operates one daily A350 flights at the moment.

The main reason I went to the airport for was way less fuel efficient and also quite some years older. One of Antonov Airlines’s AN124s arrived on a ferry flight from Kiew before departing to Almaty today. After I got an A124 last year, operated by Volga-Dnepr, I finally got a proper shot of an Antonov Airlines one, which I personally prefer livery-wise.

Closing the rush hour that day was another plane you don’t see in Munich on a normal day. During the low traffic in the last weeks, the German Air Force has been flying around all of Germany with their planes. Seen here is one of their A310s performing a low approach before continuing to other airports in the country. Until 1998, this plane belonged to Lufthansa. Other planes in the A310 fleet even belonged to the state airline of the state airline of the former German Democratic Republic, Interflug.

That’s it for this week! Since the weather forecast doesn’t look too good for the next few days, I won’t go spotting for some days but who knows, maybe I find myself in Frankfurt the weekend after so stay tuned for whatever will come up :)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again

66 Likes

Whoa!

That tower shot is BREATHTAKING!

Keep it up! (I don’t even have to say that because you’re going to post 40 topics between now and Friday lol)

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you but it’s already 3 minutes into friday so I won’t manage to get these 40 topics done haha

1 Like

No!

Do the 40 for Friday UTC ;)

1 Like

My exact reactions:
sees spotting topic from Moritz “ooh.”
sees tower shot “oOoOOh!”
sees BA 77w 'AaaH"

You’ve got me oo’d and aa’d, keep it up!

1 Like

Now that sounds stressful 👀

1 Like

Hope you survived seeing the Antonov then, don’t forget to breath haha

2 Likes

One of my favourite liveries by far 🤩 Great pics

1 Like

WOW! Each one of those photo’s is spectacular! I absolutely love getting to the see the older model Antonov and the A310. Thanks for sharing the awesome pics.

1 Like

Fantastic pictures and an increible big variety of airplanes in there. The A320Neo is my favourite though (sorry ;) Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That tower shot is absolutely incredible!

1 Like

Well, you have a point with the 320neo, it got quite a nice light 😉

1 Like

how do you make the plane shiny, like lufthansa A320 in 3rd photo? do you need to use a setting or edit?

1 Like

These are some awesome photos! The tower shot is beautiful! And the special livery photo is awesome with the lighting.

1 Like

I don’t do a special edit for that, it just happens with the morning light. All I do is adding a bit more contrast, no other edits

1 Like

Great shots mate! I’m not gonna lie but I’m loving that tower shot.

1 Like

what setting on the camera you use

1 Like

Im using the Av mode on my Canon with aperture usually fixed at 7.1-9.0 in normal conditions. ISO as low as possible, the exposure is done by the cam then.

oh, but if plane is moving you should use high shutter speed?

I always enjoy your posts @Moritz!

Great shots as always!

1 Like