A spotter's guide to photographing aviation.

@JRRaviation I can vouch for the Canon 10-18 EF-S. Fantastic ultra wide angle and tack sharp corner to corner, great price as well

Great for static displays and for cockpit shots

1 Like

Is the Canon Powershot SX430 IS an ideal camera for takings photos of contrails and lowlight photos?

An ideal camera for contrails is always going to be a DSLR…You will need a telephoto-zoom lens to be able to see contrails. For low light photos, it really depends on what settings you use. I personally dont recommend powershots for low light photography. DLSRs are always going to be your best option.

2 Likes

Thx for the info :) Btw isn’t it DSLR not DLSR? Probably wrong but yeah

Oops typo…my bad. I will fix it.

1 Like

Jacob, today was my first time spotting after I read this, and the improvements in my photos are amazing! Thank you so much!

That is one of the many pictures I took today, thank you again!

7 Likes

Wow 😳 That is a really big difference from your old photos! I can’t wait to see more!

2 Likes

@Matt737 I think we can all agree that rightfully belongs here: becase it is a nice photo

Well he said he used my guide…I think it’s fine because he said that.

1 Like

I’m gonna try your techniques when I get a camera and go to the Paine Field

1 Like

I meant it as a compliment, because it was such a nice photo that it should go there.

I think my intentions were misunderstood.

3 Likes

Ok i put in there! Thanks for the suggestion

2 Likes

This is incredible! Well said, written, and thanks for all the advice! :)

1 Like

I would like to thank you @JRRaviation for this guide it was quite helpful for my first time spotting because it was a really well laid out topic (My Experience at the Selfridge Air National Guard Show 100th Anniversary) and it has got me to want to go try new things with spotting

1 Like

I recently just made a in depth panning guide for anyone wanting to do it:

2 Likes

Amazing photography guides there Jacob!
Your video call on Lightroom edits was amazing too! I could learn a lot from it!
Impressive photography and writing skills you have there.
Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Wonderful! I use a Canon EOS 40D with a 70-200 mm L lens, and it works great! I try to use the smallest possible shutter speed while still keeping the camera still, which is hard without a tripod. I usually have it set at around 600. Great guide!

1 Like

@JRRaviation hey this post is helpful !!anw I have just bought Nikon D3400 …what is the best lens for plane spotting for D3400 …im new to this …appreciate yr reply !

2 Likes

I would recommend a telephoto lens. You are probably going to want to start with a lens with 70-300mm.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.