A rare sight in Aspen - The Starship

(photo Creds: Craig Turpin/Aspen Daily News)

Robert Scherer has lived in Aspen Colorado for 18 years, being a lover of the Beechcraft Starship he’s had models, pictures hung up. The Beechcraft Starship was the very first certified Carbon fiber composite civilian aircraft, it’s the only business aircraft with all composite wing and everything, first certified glass aircraft and push canard wing aircraft. Only 50 were ever built A Company contacted Scherer saying they have 38 million dollars worth of Starship parts. Scherer’s Starship, NC-51, is one of three active Starships in the United States, while nine currently are register with the FAA.While Scherer’s Starship is famous for being one of three currently flying, NC-51 also is famous for being the chase plane for Burt Rutan’s SpaceShipOne.

12 Likes

Incredible! Nice shots!

1 Like

Forget the TBM, I want this beauty in IF! 😍 Jk lol

2 Likes

@anon7075715

3 Likes

Well I was kidding but thanks for the link lol

1 Like

Lol that’s okay I think we should have the TBM and the Starship!

1 Like

I see this plane all the time when I drive up to Aspen to ski or go hang in downtown! It catches my eye every time.

1 Like

I think I need make a random visit to Aspen to see one! lol

1 Like

How many starships are there?

There is only one Starship that is still flying today. There were five in 2013 but two of them were dismantled and two donated to museums.

There are 3 currently actively flying with in the US

are you still able to buy starships?

If you have money and can talk one of the owners out possibly!

I mean from beechcraft

No you cannot anymore

that’s disappointing

It is - A Beautiful aircraft that was way to ahead of it’s time.

I just looked at FlightAware and it showed that there is only one in active service and one that last flown on April 28th.

Starship NC-51 out of Aspen Colorado, Starship NC-50, and Starship NC-45 are all airworthy and active. Just because you don’t see them on Flightaware doesn’t mean they’re not active.

1 Like

True, I always thought that there was only one left.

1 Like