A question

Hello IFC,
Today I ask a question about opinion. This platform is about stating opinion(at times)correct? Whether this is your favourite airline or plane etc.

The thing I don’t understand is that if there is ever an opinion about the thing we are here to discuss (Infinite Flight) particularly negative opinions, he topic gets shutdown immediately. This to me doesn’t make sense. Can someone please explain why constructive criticism is treated as an insult?

18 Likes

+1 on the above.

2 Likes

It really depends what the topic is about. Some things, like the VA callsign, is something that has been discussed many times before and nothing new can be added to the discussion. The release is not out yet so there are a lot of assumptions being made.

On the flip side there are other topics that can be viewed as constructive criticism that are left open if it is formatted in a discussion like topic. Posting a topic for the sake of listing everything negative is not a discussion. Take the example of the meta topic Realism culture that was made. The OP participated and kept the discussion on track. It was finally closed after consulting with the OP and replies began to copy each other.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

While I agree with you, there’s always a reason behind it. Whether it’s justified, that’s up in the air.

Maybe this reply from Misha may help explain things.

3 Likes

+2 on the above above.

1 Like

I understand why the topic would get shut down. It could easily get out of control. I just wish that people could talk about something that they don’t agree with. All people need is a calm attitude. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean you should be rude! If you talk in a calm and civilized manner, your voices might be heard.

1 Like

Is there a way we could have a more clear path of communication about this topic?

As a VA President, I do not want to be hit blindsided on update day on how to re-structure my VA.

7 Likes

Yes, we would like a more in depth of how this works. That would answer many questions I think.

1 Like

I can understand that but topics are made with constructive criticism or that the user disagrees with something and the topic just gets closed

1 Like

Well, because if it’s posted publicly, some users that can’t show any self-restraint cause problems…it becomes more of a rant instead of constructive criticism. PMs would be much better in a scenario like yours.

1 Like

The problem is that if its a one on one situation it can seem like a personal agenda versus others agreeing

1 Like

I agree, a PM is likely to be opened, ignored and pushed to the side as it is a “personal agenda” with no backing in oppose to a public post like those that Misha exampled as changes that have been public posts with lots of backing.

2 Likes

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’ll leave it at that.

2 Likes

It’s broke.

2 Likes

I want to second this. The most of the VA community, if not all uses callsigns as a form of identity, a tag, perhaps, may not mean much to one person, but as a collective, this tag brings a sense of belonging. I implore those who take an opposing view to take a step back to see the big picture.

Perhaps there is something that has yet to be shown to us, but if we will be left in the dark for now, don’t expect us to not make out voices heard on this particular issue, especially if for years, the wider VA community has made use of it as a sense of identity and camaraderie.

3 Likes

Agreed, I am a BAVA pilot and feel proud to be able to have BAVA in my callsign

2 Likes

Ok, before this gets off topic regarding the VA callsigns, can we get back onto the original question?

1 Like

I agree. Im not a VA owner but I’ve put in a lot of work at a newer VA as HIA. This updates brings a-lot of concerns forward about the future of smaller VAs. And a lot more concern for the larger VAs that I am also apart of, such as DLVA, AAVA, and ACVA. I think we can all agree that VAs are apart of the reason IF is what it is today. VAs are a main source of: Community Events, Featured ATC schedules, and regular traffic in the IF skies. I think that the new callsign systems was an attempt at improving the simulator, but I fail to see what was necessarily wrong with what we had to begin with. I applaud the IF team for their hard work, but I do believe there needs to be more communication about these concerns publicly. If this change is implemented how it currently is, and something dosent change to accommodate VAs, the future of the simulator is uncertain.

1 Like

Closed this as the other one got opened up, and the replies covers the same thing :)