A question regarding manual decent without VNAV

Hi! So, I just got done watching the VNAV tutorials and I was wondering. Do we have the option if we wanted to, to descend manually to a STAR without the use of VNAV as long as we follow the altitude restriction for that STAR?

Would this still be acceptable on the Expert server with active center & radar frequencies?

1 Like

Just dont engage VNAV, and do your best calculations.

1 Like

Additionally, you can use the “banana” (the white line that shows up on the map which shows where you’ll hit your set altitude) to estimate the vertical speed needed to maintain a descent in accordance with the STAR. VNAV just automates the descent process - there’s nothing wrong with keeping it off and descending manually like in previous updates.

If you request to descend via a STAR, however, it will likely be expected that you will follow the altitude restrictions provided by the procedure.

1 Like

So, for example: If I am approaching my STAR point with Active radar, I would have to use VNAV when request to descend?

It would certainly make descending a lot easier. I’d recommend using it unless there’s some specific reason you’re being hesitant about using it.

Gotcha. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Forgot to add.

If I were to request that, can I still manually descend without the use of VNAV as long as my rate of decent matches (The decent arc is matched) to the STAR/FIX?

Yup! As long as you’re hitting the fixes at the predetermined altitude, either manually or with VNAV, you should be fine

1 Like

Most excellent! :D

1 Like

The restriction for both SIDs and STARs mean the lowest possible altitude, correct?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.