A question about trim

Ok so I like to fly really realistically but I have always wonder what trim should be used in my flight like on takeoff landing and cruise like I’m flying a b738 at the moment from KABQ-KSAN like what trim would I use in cruise could anyone help me please

1 Like

This might help:

1 Like

Thanks do that I understand it a lot better now

1 Like

So if I’m at cruise and my plane is pointing upwards like at a high angle put negative trim to real ease pressure

When I fly smaller GA aircraft and commercial jets, I use 10% to 15%. For heavier jets, I use 15% to 23%. The only exception for me is the Boeing 717, in which I use 50% to 60%.

@Ash_Rand’s link will help more

Correct. By applying negative trim will point the nose of the aircraft downwards. The angle of the nose going downwards varies on the percentage of negative trim used. By applying negative trim will help to save fuel since your engines aren’t working as hard to maintain the same altitude and is being assisted by negative trim.

1 Like

The 50%-60% is actually helpful with the DC10/MD11 too.

2 Likes

Trim doesn’t do anything while the AP is controlling altitude (besides immediately after you change it). If OP is having an issue with a high pitch angle in cruise it is due to being too heavy, too slow or too high or a combination of these. There is no impact on fuel burn no matter what you do with the trim.

1 Like

Trim works while the AP is on. It helps assist the angle of the nose while at cruise while maintaining the same altitude that is set. It helps save fuel if you are heavy by relieving thrust which saves fuel so your engines don’t have to use a high amount of thrust.

1 Like

I encourage you to put your trim at +100 then -100, you’ll see that your fuel burn is exactly the same once the aircraft re-stabilizes. It definitely doesn’t have any impact on range, I wish it did though :/

2 Likes

Trim only affects the pitch of the aircraft and is used to relieve flight control pressure to make it easier to fly for the pilot.

1 Like

In IF, if the aircraft is cruising with a high pitch attitude, trim can’t change it at all. After you trim (to any position you want) the aircraft will return to the exact same pitch attitude as before.

It’s not meant to be a means of primary flight control like elevators.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.