A question about runway numbers

Hey everyone, I’ve noticed something strange about runway numbers…I know the numbers are determined by it’s position on the compass. But I’ve found that some runway numbers are determined by true heading and others by magnetic heading… why are some runways different from others?

2 Likes

Probably something to do with both GA aircraft and geographical location

Runway numbers are always by magnetic heading, as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought…

Well I have found both GA and military airports that go by magnetic.

1 Like

Can you give us an example?

@N2628P @TimShan05 Check out KVBT.

1 Like

Well I understand that…

KVBT is magnetic.

2 Likes

Yup, just checked as well

Ok but it runs true north and south. @TimShan05 @N2628P

1 Like

Nope, the M on the side of the runway as shown in the pictures stands for magnetic.

1 Like

If every other runway goes by magnetic heading, why would 3 or 4 random airports go by true heading. It’s not logical, which is why it doesn’t exist.

But guys this airport is in my hometown I know it runs true N/S.

1 Like

I don’t know what to tell you man. I’m 95% sure every airport goes by magnetic.

Ok what about this. This is an aerial view from KLAX runways 25R and 25L. They are obviously going true 250° SW.

1 Like

Go to google, search for SoCal sectional charts, and look at the map. It’ll tell you everything about the airports.

1 Like

Those aren’t makin much sense to me.

Hate to break it to you, KLAX is magnetic too. The only exceptions are the 24s. Obviously you can’t really have 25LL or 25RR, or something else along those lines as it would lead to pilot confusion. So they have to aim for the next best thing with the 24s - even though they’re supposed to be 25s, they’re changed to 24s to avoid confusion on the frequency. All runway headings are magnetic. The same applies with any airport with 4 parallel runways. Sourced from Captain Joe.

Hope that helps?

2 Likes