A problem I have with ATC

Today, I was on final to KPSP (Palm springs intl.) and I reported i’m on final and the ATC told me that I should not send unnecessary reports. Is this a problem of me or the ATC?
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 777-300ER
CALSIGN: Air france 777
LIVERY: Air france (skyteam)
ATC CONTROLER: Alexandre Godet
SCREENSHOT:

If they have cleared you to land and you’re on final then you do not need to tell them.

I’m pretty sure, but can someone confirm that.

5 Likes

If you are already cleared to land, or have been given a number in the sequence ("number 2 behind the traffic on final "), you do not need to send position reports. You’re already being tracked in the pattern.

I’m not sure… It’s necessary to report final to alert others on the frequency that that runway is occupied. However, ATC does not need to hear because he knows you’re on approach. However, ins some cases, ATC does need to know because he must alert others a runway is being used.

Yep, that’s correct.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Unicom: Send position reports to other planes om the frequency.

When there is ATC they will take care of runways in use. No need for pilots to inform other pilots. No need to send position reports unless you change from flying patterns to landing “on final full stop”.

[Edit:] Or when you are on a one mile short final and you hear a takeoff clearance for your runway.

Thanks guys but there was an A321 aircraft that requested takeoff when I was on final and the tower Allowed it taking off and thats why I said that.

1 Like

I think this is the perfect time to say you are on final. If you see an aircraft entering the runway and you are about to land.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Was PG, aye?

Generally, the announcement that you are on final mostly happens during pattern work and if you are not instructed by ATC to turn base. Otherwise, if you are from another airport, they will clear you as soon as you call inbound.

MaxSez: Posters & Commenters please identify the server you where on when gripping! If the “incident” occurred on the Playground suck it up. It serves no useful purposes whining about an error on the training ground. Incidents on the Advance server should be handled via PM to the Controller/Pilot involved.
(@Parsa_Farjam, identifying an individual by name on the General Forum is Bad JuJu)

5 Likes

Max is on top of everything, I give you a vote for moderator my dear “forum mate”.

3 Likes

@Maxmustang my brother please clarify something. The Playground server is, rightfully as you say, a training server; and in training, people are allowed to ask questions. We also say that pilots on Advanced should strictly follow the rules and not ‘troll’ the server. So, I think pilots should be allowed to ask questions about their experiences on PG so that they learn enough to avoid ‘trolling’ on Advanced once they qualify to fly there. That’s how some of us gained 20000XP and now ‘avoid trolling’ on Advanced. No need to shut them down. Else, the developers should create a thread for PG on this community. What do you think??

2 Likes

@SAA_A346 … MaxSez. . A separate PG thread may be useful if used as a learning tool vis a gripe mechanism. Take this case for example. Obstructed runway. Controller error? Controllers option if fully qualified; Go Around call. Pilots option if he’s fully qualified, suck it up, call and fly a missed. Stuff happens on the PG. Two errors here, both pilot and controllers errors. Both are learning experiences. Fledgling Pilots want to blame the Controller or vice versa. Doctor, cure thyself. (Want to continue this side issue, meet me via PM)

5 Likes

I think both @Maxmustang and @SAA_A346 have hit on a good idea. Have a separate thread running for the PG server as well as a separate Advanced Server thread, which could be locked and only available, to Grade 3 and above.

1 Like

It’s one thing to ask questions it’s another to post user information. How far out on final where you 10 miles 1 mile did you see the traffic or just hear the takeoff clearance?

3 Likes

Very well then, just thought it not right shutting the door on PG pilots asking questions.

2 Likes

Exactly right.