A Noisy Prop from the East | Leipzig, May 16th, 2020

Hi!

What are you usually doing at 3.40 am on a Saturday? Normally, I’d also answer this question with “sleep”, but last saturday, I got up at that time to start a 4 hour drive to Leipzig. Of course, this wasn’t without a reason, but more on that later…Halfway up to Leipzig, I met some other spotters and we continued the rest of the trip together. When we arrived, we started to test the available positions with the first few arrivals of DHL, the first one being one of their Boeing 767s.

Shortly after, another DHL, or to be precise a EAT (European Air Transport) Leipzig 757 arrived.

One of the few departures we spotted a bit later was a special for Leipzig. Operating as one of many passenger planes filled with cargo, Aeroflot brought their Boeing 777. Unfortunately, due to the long distances in Leipzig, heat haze was a issue trhoughout the day ruining quite a few shots.

The next 777 to arrive was a regular visitor to Leipzig again. Being a joint venture of Lufthansa and DHL, Aerologic operates a 777-only fleet using Leipzig as a hub as well as Frankfurt (however, Leipzig is the more important one).

Let’s get to the first Airbus of this topic. Initially ruined by a cloud, a bit more editing work was necessary to save this pic of DHLs A310.

Another 777, another DHL plane, but this time operated by Aerologic arrived from China wearing the James Bond livery. (Don’t look to close, the heat haze was horrible for this plane and this picture was the best I could get.)

Also flying for DHL, but not as colorful and operated by ASL Airlines Ireland, was this A330.

Now I promised you a noisy prop, but well, that was not it haha. However, this little plane was special indeed. When we planned our lunch break, two of us (including me) wanted to stay at the spot to take a picture of SprintAir’s Saab, so we split up. We didn’t expect that eventually, but we managed to finish our lunch and still had plenty of time until the arrival since it was only cruising at 250kts GS.

So now let’s get to the real reason of my early wake up - the AN-22. After performing cargo operations in Africa, it returned to Leipzig from Marseille last Saturday. And it’s truly a beast with its 8 props.

As the title says, the AN-22 really has an amazing sound. For that reason, I also took a video of the final approach to give you an idea:

Something very strange at Leipzig was the following: NO ONE cared about the movements of the AN124s that were operating that day - we eventually left before one arrived. However, one AN124 was departing for Asia so we did our best to get shots of it, however the heat haze was really bad.

Next to the AN-22, we were also waiting for another special movement from Moscow - an Aviastar Tupolev 204, even wearing a special livery.

I hope you like the shots! Stay tuned for a few more pics from Munich I took last week for a special, yet very sad, occasion.

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First two days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last specials prior to the Corona break
First spotting trip after the Corona restrictions with some cargo specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Helicopter

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again

59 Likes

Beautiful photos!

First

1 Like

Russian postal service, nice spot there!

2 Likes

They see them so much I bet they could care less lol. Anyways, awesome pictures! The Russian Post TU-204 is cool! Its like the frame of an extended A321 with the wings of the 757!

4 Likes

That saab do be looking pretty lit tho.

3 Likes

Really nice pictures as always! Thanks for sharing the colourful DHLs amongst other cool and somewhat rare airplanes!

Also I am quiet relieved that also such experienced spotters struggle with heat haze and it’s just not me not being capable enough.

Thanks once again!

2 Likes

When I hear Europeans talk about a 4 hour drive they usually end up traveling through multiple countries LOL

Besides that, nice photos @Moritz glad you got to capture such variety of aircraft

-Moosehead

3 Likes

I know this topic is about the AN22 but that Sprint Air shot is really nice!

1 Like

I knew someone would be able to help out with my terrible (non-existent) russian, thanks!

We’ve bee waiting long enough haha wasn’t too easy to get a shot that was both in sun and not blurred by heat

Even as an experienced spotter you don’t have the power to control the weather haha All you can do against heat haze is knowing a spot where it isn’t as bad but that’s about it

Well, 30+ years back it would have been another country haha
After all, Germany isn’t that small and it would take me way less time to get to other countries if I drove to the south ;)

3 Likes

Wow! As always, awesome photos! Those are some really nice catches!

1 Like

Thank you :)

1 Like

Great photos!

I’m more finding it humorous of how one of your friends was just standing head to foot in vegetation to get the perfect shot 😂

It must’ve been so cool to have the AN-22 roar past you, the ground must’ve been rumbling below your feet!

1 Like

Well, I was standing in that field as well 😂 it was quite helpful for many funny insta stories lol

1 Like

Wow it isn’t Munich 🤙😜. Haha Great Photos! ;)

1 Like

Beautiful shots with a great variety of aircraft!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.