A new found respect for KASE

I have flown into the airport only a hand full of times before, and only with approach active. Today was the first time where I have flown into KASE completely alone, and it was scary as hell…

Allow me to set the scene:

Current weather was 190 @ 3 knots and a 3 mile visibility. Although the visibility is low, this approach should be do-able. I was doing the RNAV approach for RWY 15 (chart available here). Suddenly I was not losing altitude anymore, and my ground speed shot up. I went around, and did the missed approach procedure. When I had a chance, I looked at the METAR. 340 @ 8 knots and a 0 mile visibility. I was set to divert to KEGE, but suddenly the weather calmed down again (Around the same as it was before the sudden wind sheer). I did the approach again, but this time I was too high, and was forced to go around again. I did the whole missed approach procedure again, and settled on flying the LOC/DME (Chart here) approach, instead of the RNAV approach. This third approach was not pretty whatsoever, but I got the aircraft down safely.

Needless to say, I now have a lot more respect for this airport, and will certainly never under estimate it again.

What experiences have you guys had with KASE?

28 Likes

What type of aircraft were you using?

2 Likes

I still thing KASE is easy on a clear day. I use terrain clearance stuff and the mountains for the approach.

3 Likes

KEGE and KASE are very difficult approaches. I never use charts, I just eyeball it, but it’s still a challenge. Last (and only) time I flew to KEGE, on a 738, I had to go around twice

4 Likes

I was flying the Dash. Usually quite the easy aircraft to fly.

1 Like

KASE is the only approach where I fly a bit dirty because I just do VFR approaches unless its low visibility.

1 Like

At one point someone is gonna summon Josh, before someone does we’ve all heard that story a million times :)

Come to think of it I’ve only ever flew in once- in a SR22 during an FNF. Twas a good landing if I do say so myself.

4 Likes

I’ll be trying out this approach tonight, I honestly don’t think I’ve ever flown in there. Thanks for referencing the charts in your post.

1 Like

Which airport isn’t straight forward on a clear day? The real challenge kicks in once the visibility drops below 7 miles ;)

Good luck! Always remember: No shame in a go-around.

3 Likes

Only 2 go arounds? I did like 4, went to KEGE, back to KASE and another 2 go arounds before landing. And the crosswinds can be awful sometimes

Living near the airport myself, there was a plane crash there two years ago and the pilots reported sudden wind shifts. The plane blew up on the runway. Personally, I have had some pretty bad turbulence on takeoff but that’s because of the 14ers surrounding the airport.

1 Like

Try landing A380 or C17 there. Nerve wracking but rewarding.

Do on casual so folks don’t get BH.

1 Like

Why would they?

Why would they get BH? Because TFR on TS1/Expert.

I landed there like 3 days ago, and it was really fun and interesting. Visibility was like 2 miles (I guess because of snow), so ILS and terrain warning was needed all the way. I flew in a Delta E170,

A healthy fear of ASE is respectable.

Not to worry. I am currently halfway through the planning process on how to blow it to oblivion.

2 Likes

You’ll have more respect when you have to vector people like @AR_AR through the mountains for a approach test.

3 Likes

Still cannot believe you did it Riley.

4 Likes

When you disconnected after your final interecept i thought you ate a mountain.

1 Like